Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, What a horrible time for us. It took us over two months to find a good breeder, then months to wait for the pups. We started buying toys and such, and getting ready. The pups were born last Thursday. 5 days later, I get a call from the breeder. The mommy got up and accidently stepped on the pup that we had picked out, and when she realized it, she tried to back off, but ended up putting more weight on the pup. The puppy broke his hip and leg and had to be put down :cry:  I feel so sick. We had been waiting for so long, and got to see a picture of the pups. Now we have to start all over, finding a new breeder. We really only have one other person to try, otherwise I think we will be looking for a different breed, since my family does not want to wait another 1/3 to 1/2 a year. We may get a min pin and then look for a boxer again in a year or two. sigh....

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That is terrible news.....I am sorry to hear that....I take it they dont have any other pups from that litter available?

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Oh thats horrible news, poor baby and poor you guys too :((

If you cant find a breeder would you not consider adopting a Boxer baby, im sure there must be loads in the rescue centres crying out for a new family to love them :(

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow, what a tragedy, I am very sorry for you....I'm with Zulu, why not do a rescue and then get a pup at a later date? I assume that all the other pups were laready taken? How sad :cry:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
OMG...that's terrible.  I'm so sorry to hear that...  :cry:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Sorry this happened, but IMO dont give up!  There are many of great litters on the ground and some pups that need  good homes.   Sometimes you may have to travel a bit, and start from scratch, but I am a bit confused on what the breeder was going to do?   Just say sorry and good bye? or work with you, and his/her connection to find a pup for you and your family.

I know *if* I were a breeder, I would never place any pups that young to a family since they are still in a critical stage.   Also shall something happen to a pup that I promised, I would 1.  feel guilty as hell, and 2. do everything in my means to find a pup from another reputable breeder to replace the loss of this pup, pup you first on my next litter list or place you on another persons litter list if I knew of any pups coming up.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the other pups are taken. The rescue here says you must have a fenced in yard, which we don't. Also, we have a 3 year old, and this is our first real pet, and I worry about adopting a dog from the pound, with unknown background and temperament. I can't risk getting an aggressive or even scared dog, and my kid be around it. That is one of the main reasons why I took so long to find a good breeder. For health AND temperament.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah I agree with Heather, something doesn't sound right with this breeder.  A responsible breeder would work with you to help you find another litter or at least provide names and resources.  I'm also wondering when they were going to hand over the pups.  Something sounds fishy, and as sad as you probably are, I think it was meant to be.  Take your time and find yourself a good breeder, you and your family deserve it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sorry, but I don't see why everyone assumes the breeder was placing the puppies too early?  The fcat that the OP was buying toys and getting ready doesn't necessarily mean that they were expecting the puppy home within a few days, merely that they were excited about their new arrival.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So sorry for your loss.  You will be in my prayers.  Sometimes things happen for a reason who knows maybe there is a dear sweet boxer out there that needs resueing and you may be the one that can help. :cry:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Sorry, but I don't see why everyone assumes the breeder was placing the puppies too early?
No, I did not mean allowing them to go to new homes, I meant new families selecting which ones they want too soon.   In the beginning of a litter many of things can happen, such as the above inncident, and mothers can roll over on their babies etc.  I think allowing a family to select a dog should be done when the pups are older -  thus when they are not so new and 100% out of the clear - again just my opinon!!   I know many breeders who will not place pups until they have done temperment testing or until they are full weaned from their mother.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Draken, not sure if this dog is still available, but in Colubus, someone has a Boxer that looks like it REALLY needs a loving home..Check here, and don't give up on the breed..

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That is true, shouldn't you get to pick your own puppy over a course of a few visits?  How do you judge temperament at birth?  Should random people really be handling newborns (if you were even allowed to handle the one you picked out)?  It does sound fishy to me.  Honestly I wouldn't put it past some people to make up a story like this because they decided to give it to someone else.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that, how terrible  :cry:

Don't give up though!  I'm sure you are going to find the perfect dog for you and your family   :D

Rob

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Im so sorry about this and i wish you luck in finding a new puppy that is right for your family. If you look at pounds you can many times find puppies there, usually not 8weeks old but still very young. Good luck on your search

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
So sorry to hear that you lost your puppy already. Like others have said everything happens for a reason so it might be a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No one was even allowed to visit the pups until they are 5 weeks old, and none go home till after 8 weeks. The thing is, she is not a "breeder" breeder. She has a retired show dog, then got another one, The dog did very well in the ring, but did not like it, so they retired her. Well, they still wanted a show dog, so they bred. I also have talked extensively to the stud's owner, who are "breeders" and showers. Anyways, she is breeding only to get a show dog/pet. Then does not plan to breed again for a few years. She doesn't breed to make money. Since she is like this, she didn't take deposits like many people do. So she just had a list of people who wanted a pup. "I" chose which pup I would want, but she was to watch and observe, and be sure to see if that dog would be a good fit for my family and see how we do when we eventually would meet. Obviously that never came about, since the pup was only around for about 5 days.

She was very upset, and did try to find me info for another breeder. She and the stud's owner gave me a couple other people to try. Problem is, I already had checked out most of this, so the list is pretty short by now. I am also top on the list if someone decides to NOT purchase one of the other pups. She really has no reason to pick someone over me. Also, she has been GREAT, concerning talking about and giving info on the breed. She had offered to help teach us how to walk the dog before she realized that we don't live relatively that close to each other. She LOVED talking about the dogs. She is pretty much everything this and other forums said to look for in a breeder.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts