Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 6 month old boxer who eats anything she can get her mouth on outside.  We just planted expensive pretty folowers in our pots and I looked outside and she totally destroyed them.  She also eats all of our bushes.  She will eat sticks and mulch.  you would think it would make her sick but it doesn't.  Does anyone have any experience with a boxer who does this and how did you get him/her to stop?  

Thanks,
Sarah

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sarah, I would recommend a tie out stake in the middle of the yard. When you tie up your puppy make sure that the puppy is supervised of course. That way you can be in control of where she is and how far she can reach. If you don't like that idea, may i recommend teaching her the command "LEAVE IT". This works wonders. While in the house or outside, on the leash for a few, When she goes towards something you don't want her to touch, command "LEAVE IT" and then walk her away from it. Then continue with this command without the leash. Another thing that is on the market is a No No Spray... I don't remember what it is called but you can find it at many pet retail stores, it is a spray that won't harm plants that has a pheramone or smell that deturs them from the garden.
Good Luck!
Sarah
Vintage Boxers

·
Registered
744 Posts
Don't leave her outside unattended. Dogs typically will get into mischief when they're bored. A very easy solution is to not leave her out when you can't be out watching her, and correct her (Leave it.) and redirect her attention to something good (a treat, bone, toy, etc) when you are out with her (Good leave it!).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah, yes I do remember very well planting 75 tulips in our back yard and having Alex did every single one of them up and proudly bringing them back to me or eatting them!!! She ate a $50 plant and every bush she could lay comfortly under and chew on the branches.  These cute little bundles of joy are just board!  If we caught her chewing on branches we make the "ant" sound several times or "LEAVE IT" command.  It did take some time and we made sure Alex alwasy had chew hides around.  It is frustrating, but hang in there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts