Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a tough time when I first got my boxers. I had had dogs before, when I was married lo, these many years ago, but my then-husband and his parents did most of the puppy training and all that. Jasper, my 20-month-old, has given me a thorough education about dog training.

I've discovered that I'm far more passive and laid back than I thought I was. I'm better than I used to be at being pack leader, but still not perfect. Jasper still tries to run me. LOL

However, the dogs got crate-trained, and have slowly earned the right to be out of the crates and roaming the house. We go on walks, though right now it's only a mile and a quarter once a day. They absolutely love the walks, and I'm gaining back some muscle strength I lost from 8 years of being totally sedentary.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Aww good job thus far! And be glad you did not a girl first!! Passive and laid back would have gotten you run over with a Boxer Girl!! My Struddell knew I was not the "passive laid back type??" So she went with "Cute and Beguiling??"

LOL that crap worked! But we had an understanding ... "I'll do what I want and you (Dad) stay out of way!" We had to work out the details of that agreement between, the two of us, but it went well. :)

But how many dogs you have now???

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I think I remember you posting when you first got your boxers. sounds like you have come a long way and are doing well with them. Its good for you to get out and walk too, that one reason I keep a dog always with me, forces me to get out and keep moving.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aww good job thus far! And be glad you did not a girl first!! Passive and laid back would have gotten you run over with a Boxer Girl!! My Struddell knew I was not the "passive laid back type??" So she went with "Cute and Beguiling??"

LOL that crap worked! But we had an understanding ... "I'll do what I want and you (Dad) stay out of way!" We had to work out the details of that agreement between, the two of us, but it went well. :)

But how many dogs you have now???
I have two. Jasper, who is 20 months, and Selena, who is around 12. They're mom and son. :)

And thanks for the kudos! It's been a lot of hard work! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I remember you posting when you first got your boxers. sounds like you have come a long way and are doing well with them. Its good for you to get out and walk too, that one reason I keep a dog always with me, forces me to get out and keep moving.
Yup, now that my butt has stopped screaming, it's almost enjoyable. LOL

We still have some areas we're working on, but I have come to realize that my dogs are not going to be perfect, because I'm not. I still don't speak dog and they often still baffle me, but I've learned a lot of their cues. We can take our time, though, and learn as we go. I'm not the greatest dog parent in the world, but my "kids" are awesome! I adore my boxers, and life is never boring with them in in it. LOL <3

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yup, now that my butt has stopped screaming, it's almost enjoyable. LOL

We still have some areas we're working on, but I have come to realize that my dogs are not going to be perfect, because I'm not. I still don't speak dog and they often still baffle me, but I've learned a lot of their cues. We can take our time, though, and learn as we go. I'm not the greatest dog parent in the world, but my "kids" are awesome! I adore my boxers, and life is never boring with them in in it. LOL <3
I'm biased, but I also agree Boxers are amazing and wonderful! It sounds like you are doing well and one of the hardest things is to recognize what we need to learn so we can then teach them. While there is a mix of experienced Boxer parents on here, I think as long as you are growing and learning and doing the best you can for your furkids, you are doing well. You seem to have a good attitude about it. :)

There are things our boys do that some other dog owners would not allow..get on furniture, sleep in our beds, lay in our laps...there are still things we want to teach them....there are things we would do differently if we could go back in time....Boxers make this journey of life so fun, and crazy, stressful, gassy, slobbery, messy, noisy, bouncy, and indescribably wonderful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts