Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allie just turned 10 a few days ago. All of a sudden she has started pacing all the time. I just took her to the vet and they checked her out and said she was ok. But there is something off. She has never paced like this before. My friend said her dog paced like that before he died. Has anyone experienced this with their older dog?

·
Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
It could be pain or a bit of dementia has started. Perhaps try an anti pain med in in the evenings to see if it helps settle her. At her age I’d be shocked if she didn’t have some arthritis some where.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Slow pacing, anxious pacing? Aimless wandering? Kari's suggestion is a prudent one. Rule out pain/injury and go from there. I know some dogs have a hard time coping with tooth pain, which may present itself in unexpected behaviors.

I've had and been around enough senior dogs to know that a relatively sudden onset of an otherwise benign behavior is very likely old age rearing its ugly head.

Reactions: chip18

·
Registered
703 Posts
I agree with pain causing some sort of discomfort, could be arthritis or maybe some kind of stomach issue? Has she been gassy or using the bathroom regularly? Sometimes stomach pain can cause this.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with pain causing some sort of discomfort, could be arthritis or maybe some kind of stomach issue? Has she been gassy or using the bathroom regularly? Sometimes stomach pain can cause this.
If her eating is any indication, it’s not that because she’s eating fine, no problem with her appetite. Would that also rule out a toothache?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slow pacing, anxious pacing? Aimless wandering? Kari's suggestion is a prudent one. Rule out pain/injury and go from there. I know some dogs have a hard time coping with tooth pain, which may present itself in unexpected behaviors.

I've had and been around enough senior dogs to know that a relatively sudden onset of an otherwise benign behavior is very likely old age rearing its ugly head.
More like anxious pacing. Especially when there’s stuff going on here, for example, when we’re up and about.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't know your situation but a lot of people have been staying home and your dog may have gotten used to someone being there all the time now and when she feels like you are getting ready to leave the house and go some where she is anxious about being left alone? My dogs get a little anxious when they see me getting my keys and stuff but they settle right down. A friend of mine has an older female Boxer and she has been working from home a lot these last few months so now whenever she leaves her dog becomes very anxious and this is a dog that was used to being home alone. I think the older they get the more clingy they get to their owners they may have some arthritis pain or just simply want more attention I would keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
After 10 years and congratulations on that by the way! But you should pretty much "Know," what's normal for her?? And
"Bob Loblaw," ppretty much nailed it ie "Sudden unexpected changes in behavior, means .... see a "Vet."

That is pretty much dog 101 regardless of age. As you "can't," train your way out of a "Health Issue??" :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
If her eating is any indication, it’s not that because she’s eating fine, no problem with her appetite. Would that also rule out a toothache?
Re: rule out toothache? - possibly. Dogs typically aren't big on chewing their food, unless it's necessary, i.e. bones. How is she (presently vs. Previously) with chew toys, raw marrow bones, etc?

You could also palpate her abdomen and hips to:
1. Feel for abnormalities and/or asymmetry
2. Discover if she has any painful responses/tenderness

Can she still ascend & descend steps and move between sit-down-stand easily, as compared to previously?

It could be so many things. I also agree that a vet trip is in order.

Reactions: chip18

·
Registered
29 Posts
My last adult boxer definitely experienced a lot more general anxiety as he aged. He was 14.5 when he passed away earlier this year. I found massaging him helped; I would massage his hind quarters and also his front shoulders which seemed to ease his anxiety. He definitely didn't like change much as he aged, even started bugging us to go to bed when he was ready. Had us rightly retrained before he made his exit! Hoping you can find some relief, good luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: we took her to the vet. She thinks it’s cancer but they don’t know where it is, possibly in her head. She lost more weight so not a good indicator. Folks please pray for Allie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Allie just turned 10 a few days ago. All of a sudden she has started pacing all the time. I just took her to the vet and they checked her out and said she was ok. But there is something off. She has never paced like this before. My friend said her dog paced like that before he died. Has anyone experienced this with their older dog?
Yes, my sweet Puchi, who was just shy of 12 years did the pacing. She had a brain tumor. She recently passed this Monday. Take her somewhere else. You may need an MRI. If she is otherwise ok I think all you can offer her is support. Good luck

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Yes, my sweet Puchi, who was just shy of 12 years did the pacing. She had a brain tumor. She recently passed this Monday. Take her somewhere else. You may need an MRI. If she is otherwise ok I think all you can offer her is support. Good luck
Oh so sorry to hear this. You should list him in the "Rainbow Bridge," when you can ... and although it always hurts to lose them. "Just shy of 12 is pretty good for a "Boxer." You guys did "Good," for what that's worth. :(

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
All my dog's regardless of "Breed," tend to only make it to 10?? I suppose I have to dip down to 20 lbs or less to do better???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts