Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a huge dilema in my pack. I have 4 dogs. Two of them being boxers and the other two are mixed breeds. One of them is a GSD, golden, lab and chow mix. He is the oldes and the wisest. The other is a pit bull mastif and rottie mix. He is only about 1.5 years old. Polo and Stella the boxers get along great with each other and Stonie my old dog. Stonie is the GSD mix. He is so very laid back and takes everything in stride. Titus, my PB mix, is not neutered and has recently been standing upto Polo. We all know about Boxers at the fence and how they can be crazy and lash out at their pack in the proccess. Well he did it to Titus and ever since that first time, Titus starts to show, very offensive postures when Polo is around, ultimately ending in a huge fight, with blood shed. Now I know that PB are used for fighting purposes and I don't think for one second that they are bad dogs, otherwise I wouldn't have one. I have had him since the day he was born and love him dearly. titus is a great dog.
When I say posturing I mean his hackles are raised and his tail is up, he stands with his side facing Polo and he stairs. I know this is instigating a fight, but how do I make it stop? I have to keep them seperated at all times! and it isn't fair, because one of them has to be in a kennel when the other one is around. It is usually the boxers, Polo and stella.
Now my other concern is the puppy, I bought her after this started, thinking I would find a home for Polo and start over with a new one. Well that is still in the proccess so we still have both. I tried to introduce the two, Titus and Stella, but he don't want to give her a chance. I don't know if she is too much energy for him or if he thinks the breed in general is bad...I don't know. Can anyone offer me some good advice.
This is what I've been told to do so far...put muzzles on them both and let them work it out on their own. Take them for walks that last about an hour and see what happens. I have tried the walks and they do great on the walks. BUT as soon as we get back home It starts all over again, like they weren't just walking side by side. the energy that flows from these two dogs, makes me very ill. to the point where I throw up sometimes. I'm lost and don't have no one that knows anything about boxers.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Why don't you try neutering Titus? That might be a good start...I am not a trainer (and there are some really good ones on this forum-hopefully they will chime in) but if Titus is the problem, why are you crating the boxers?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree 100%.  Sometimes males fight even when they are both neutered.  But if you have a male dog who is not neutered with other male dogs, you are just asking for trouble.  The first step is to get those balls off and then you can begin working with them to reduce the drama.  I don't believe you will be successful otherwise, especially since there has already been some fighting.

·
Registered
381 Posts
1.  When you talk about boxers at the fence and lashing out at their pack I have no idea what you are talking about.  If there is an aggressive behavior that the boxers do at the fence, that you feel has contributed to these problems, then I would not allow whatever that aggressive behavior is.  When they start doing it tell them/make them stop.  Let them know that behavior is not allowed.
2.  You say you see Titus posturing and instigating the fights, well that is when you need to intervene, with Titus.  You can redirect his attention/behavior to something different or you can correct him.  Either way that posturing type of behavior has to be cut off before it escalates.
3.  I have no idea if nuetering will help but it might be worth considering.

·
Registered
381 Posts
bullbleu\";p=\"83746 said:
. the energy that flows from these two dogs, makes me very ill. to the point where I throw up sometimes. I'm lost and don't have no one that knows anything about boxers.

Do you think that the dogs can sense these things, sense your emotions or how you feel?  Do you believe dogs can sense/feel when we are sick, depressed or pissed off?  If you believe dogs can sense these things, what do you think your emotions tell your dogs about whether or not you are in control, whether or not you are the pack leader, the one they need to listen to??

I'm not trying to lecture, but to hopefully get you to see things from a different angle.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I would try getting the pb fixed. I have 4 dogs 2 cockers 12 & 9 yrs old and the pups 4 mos th cockers are fixed the pups are not yet but will be soon & the only trouble I have is the 12yrs old cocker is blind and he gets upset @ the pups when htey play rough with each other cause he can't see them and "Fusses" @ them other than that they get along great

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really do understand what you are saying Nexu, and believe me I do intervene. But by the time I start to go for Titus, My boxer thinks, he needs to chime in and help mom out. I take them both for walks daily and I have never had any issues with any PB I have ever rehabbed to a new home.
The whole fence thing is frustraion for not being able to get at what's on the other side. I had said in a previous post the Polo was severely abused and suffers from an old break in his back. The vet thinks he may have nerve damage causing him to be so off. He has petite mawl seizures on occasion and does not need meds for them.
I know i'm trying to defend my PB because he is such a great laid back dog. I have confidence issues ever sinc eI was bitten by the boxer in the middle of one of his episodes. So when I have to interact with him I am a little hesitant.
I don't allow Polo to play in the back yard with anyone now. He goes out to potty off leash in the front yard and does not hesitate to come back in. He is also a great dog and I believe I have worked out a system to allow all four of my pups equal time to interact with mom and dad. Things have calmed down alot in the past couple of weeks getting into the swing of our new routine. The boxers are out in the house running around all day with us, while Titus and Stonie are plaing in the back yard, or resting on thier sofa in the garage if it cold. Everyone eats in the house but at seperate times and they all go to bed with us at night. Now the boxers are in thier kennels but stonie and Ty-ty sleep on the papasan chair. If I didn't put the boxers up no one would get any sleep. It's odd though, Ty-ty does not seem to mind walking by Polo's crate at night and neither does Polo. I'm baffled.

I also agree with you Nexu, about getting rid of the jewels. I think I just figured out my own problem. I had the hardest time finding a home for one of the puppies from Ty-ty's litter and it was his sister. I couldn't afford to get her fixed and about the time she came in for the first time, was the time things started going south. He was SOOOOO crazy that whole month and I didn't put two and two together. But I don't deny for one second it is testosterone.
I'm not giving up!!! Maybe I should take some yoga classes? LOL!
Thanks for all your input. I will post pictures soon!!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
We had a boxer/pit and never had any issues from her with fighting the other dogs.  I think any intact male (any breed) you had around the other males would cause the same reaction.  Getting him fixed would be the first step.  I would keep them separated until he is and then reintroduce them carefully.  Adding another puppy to this mix doesn't sound like a great idea at this time since the dogs you already have are not getting along.

Our boxers do have the fence aggression you mentioned.  They see something over the fence line and want it, can't get it so go after each other.  We keep an eye on it and try to stop it as soon as we can but sometimes we don't see anything out there that they would go after or something is spotted after they are outside and we can't always get to them right away so they do get into a fight (usually not bad but sometimes it can get bloody).  Distracting them is what has worked best for us.  We also watch for things in the yard or just outside the fence (deer, neighbors cats and dogs, etc.) and wait until they are out of site before they get let out.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just a couple things to add if not already doing...

I think the key now is NOT to seperate them becasue then the problem will keep getting worse. Since you raised both from pups they must feel you are the leader in the family and so you have to now step up in this role and make sure they understand this. You must be the alpha now or else things go from bad to worse.

I would also, start working to walk both of them at the same time every day if you are not already doing this. You must get them real tired and get some of the pent up energy out. I also am not sure what you mean by lashing out at the fence is what boxers do......that only happens becasue they are frustrated and they have way too much energy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts