Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys Reese pants no-stop right now. she has access to water anytime she wants it, and we keep our AC around 76-78 and have 3 fans constantly going in the living room (2 in each bed room) since it is hot, but she wont stop panting!! at first i thought she was hot so i tried popsicles-she wouldnt touch 'em. So then i tried ice water-wouldnt drink it til the ice had melted and it wasnt very cold. Even when she drinks and then walks away from her water bowl she will just start panting. Should i be worried? Savannah does not do this either....just Reese

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Hmmm . . .  :think:

Is she running around a lot?  Does she stop panting when she's asleep or at night?  I know it's been awfully hot up your way.  Is she spending a lot of time outside?

Z

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has been going on for a few about 3 days now. the only time she is outside is when i take her out to go to the bathroom, otherwise she is just indoors. she hasnt really been running around, mostly she walks around the living room panting. she will lay down in the kennel or by the coffee table and chew on her toy. when she is playing with her toy that is the onlytime she doesnt pant. I cantake her temp later on this evenin once i get home.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ok, this may sound a bit off the wall, could it be stress or anxiety? Samson pants a lot in the summer, but his mainly due to being overweight still...Angel, sometimes when she climbs up into my lap will start panting real heavy, but hers goes away..Have you touched her body to see if she feels extra warm? It's also possible, she could be one of those boxers that has a very low tolerance to heat...You can get this chilling mats, I have to find the link, I think Dr Fosters carries them, but they can be laid on the floor, in a kennel or taken in the car and it helps them cool off...They also make vests too..Try dipping her feet into a bowl of cool water, also take ice cubes and run it up and down her chest..Samson highly recomends that!!! Keep us posted, ok?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep.....let us know....it could be SO many things and then it could be nothing at all.  If you can take her temp that would be a good place to start.  Also, feel her body all over and make sure she does not seem to wince in pain anywhere, especially around the neck, back, (spine) and stomach areas. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i groomed her last night and she didnt wince or anything and she doesnt feel warm at all, feels the same as savannah. i will try amd get her temp tonight then and get back to ya. hopefully it is just that she is extra sensitive to heat.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Have you checked her heart rate?  I would listen to it, you can feel it on the left side, and count how many beats she is having per minute when she has been resting.  Normal heart rates should be between 60 and 120 beats per minute.  If they are significantly higher than that you need to get her into a vet ASAP.  If they are within that range and she is still panting heavily, I would take her in to get looked at and have thyroid level checked on her.  She could just be sensitive to heat, but the other two problems are prevelant in the boxer breed.

Nano

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i have been a little behind...pun not intended..but Reese's temp was at 101, so she isnt running a fever. i forgot to check her heart rate. i will have to do that later though because she has been playing so it is going to be increased. so since the temp seems to be fine, does that mean (depending on the heart rate) that she could just be extra sensative to heat and i maybe dip her in the kiddie pool after she is done playing or keep a cool towl layed out so she can lay on it in her kennel? i dont really want to go to the exspense of a cooling vest until she has matured fully.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You could try cooling her off, but if she's been out running in excessively hot weather, I wouldn't dip her in cold, cold water as it can be a shock to the system. Best to cool her gradually.

If she is still panting while at rest or when cooled, I'd have your vet look for other causes, like heart issues. Just listening to her heart rate yourself may not be adequate. You'll need to know what a true murmur sounds like. Best to have your vet take a listen.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I really would recommend a vet check for her also if she is still panting excessively.  They can atleast listen to the heart rate and check that out also.  A basic exam would be worth the price for peace of mind and to rule out that it was heart related.  As Burning River said, the heart problems are prevelent in our breed, unfortunatly.

I haven't had luck with the cooling vest being much good and the ratings given in the Whole Dog Journal didn't give them much credit.  

Nano

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Let us know for sure what is going on with her.  Are you getting in cooler weather from that storm.  I guess probably not since it was bad in Corpus and you are a good 5 or 6 hours away?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts