Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyson is always panting (except when he is sleeping).  It doesn't matter what he is doing, he just walks around panting.  His tongue sticks out and he is breathing heavily.  I am wondering if I should be concerned? He is only 11 months (turns 1 year this month), so he is still young.  He could just walk down the stairs and he starts panting.  And it seems as though he gets tired more often after his walks or a trip to the dog park.  He is still full of energy and loves playing, he just seems to get warn out a lot faster.

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Some dogs are panters, some are not.  

IMO Hanna is a big time panter after heavy exercise.   If its anything excessive at your next vet appt bring it up.  Have them listen to the heart.   I am getting an echo and holter done on Hanna anyways because she will be running agility.   Need to make sure heart is a-ok before doing that.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I will bring it up at the next appointment.  I can see if it happened after an excessive excercise, but he is doing it on a regular basis.  Even from just running down the stairs once.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Zulu is a panter aswell. He even blows his cheeks out when he is sleeping, hes been checked out and is fine, i guess its just his thing :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert by any means, and may be misinformed, but I remember hearing that a symptom of heartworm was panting. Anyway, you know him best, if its out of the ordinary, better safe than sorry. Otherwise it seems like it could also be perfectly normal. My McNab pants pretty excessively, but being a herding breed he has a pretty thick undercoat and hes all black, so I assume he's hot a lot. Plus we don't have air conditioning here...

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i agree with heather.. but if your mind is still not at ease.. give your vet a call and see what they say.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Being that this is a boxer we are talking about, and me having dealt with cardiomyopathy, I would definitely have his heart checked out. Like others have said, it could just be his norm, but you know your dog better than anyone, and if you think that it is out of the ordinary than I would have it checked at the next vet visit.  :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Since it seems you are concerned I would talk to the vet and see if he feels a visit is in order.  With all of the health problems that Boxers I think i would be concerned also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts