Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have an almost 4 yr old boxer female, and I discovered an open wound in between her paws. I’m hoping it was just the salt that may have cut her foot- she does not like wearing boots.I googled, and it could possibly be a interdigital cyst?
I washed it with Chlorhexidine shampoo to disinfect it
She’s not in pain or licking it either.

thanks all!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is a cyst. Likely an allergic reaction to something. Your job is to figure out what.
Start by going to the vet, who should give you an ointment to wipe between her toes. It will clear up. Then try to keep track of foods you think contributed to it when it returns. I say that because it's probably a reaction to some she is eating. But it could be environmental. Does your dog get recurring ear yeast infections or redness?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a cyst. Likely an allergic reaction to something. Your job is to figure out what.
Start by going to the vet, who should give you an ointment to wipe between her toes. It will clear up. Then try to keep track of foods you think contributed to it when it returns. I say that because it's probably a reaction to some she is eating. But it could be environmental. Does your dog get recurring ear yeast infections or redness?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi!

Thanks for responding! re ear yeast infections/redness, she doesn’t have any.

I actually just started an elimination diet 2 days ago, starting with rice and chicken with pumpkin bc she’s being having recurring loose stools. I’ve emailed my vet already, hopefully it clears up!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't think this a an allergy issue at all I would have that checked by a Vet and soon, a common place for Boxers to get cysts that may or may not be cancer are on the face/feet/chest so anytime those come up they should be looked into further.

·
Super Moderator
7,084 Posts
Looks like an interdigital cyst to me as well. Daily foot soaks in Epsom salts with some peroxide. Keep the foot dry and don’t allow her to lick it. Must wear boots if going outside for walks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When our girl Ginger gets those we use Chlorhexidine pads from the vet. They're about 2" diameter wipes. It clears them upon a day or two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there,

I have an almost 4 yr old boxer female, and I discovered an open wound in between her paws. I’m hoping it was just the salt that may have cut her foot- she does not like wearing boots.I googled, and it could possibly be a interdigital cyst?
View attachment 136391
thanks all!!!
My 5 yr old got a cut in the fall on his paw. Paw swelled up and went to vet. Got antibiotics, cleared up and back again. I can not walk him outside because it opens up again and again and bleeds. I have cleaned it, soaked it, wrapped it, and still it keeps opening up. It is a wound that won't heal. Taking him back to the vet today and having them do a biopsy to make sure it isn't anything too concerning. It's healed up now but will bleed again. HELP!!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Have they looked at his paw to see if maybe there is a foreign body in there? Maybe glass or stick or something? I would for sure have that checked since it won't heal. Is he licking at it and messing with it? Let us know how it turns out and we hope for the best!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have they looked at his paw to see if maybe there is a foreign body in there? Maybe glass or stick or something? I would for sure have that checked since it won't heal. Is he licking at it and messing with it? Let us know how it turns out and we hope for the best!
Yes, I’ve had his foot x-rayed and his hip just in case. There’s no foreign body in there. Brought him to the vet and they took a culture to make sure it’s not cancerous or bacteria. We’ll find out soon. I will let you know. Thanks, Patty

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there,

View attachment 136391
thanks all!!!
My 6 year old male had that happen and it ended up swelling between his toes, looked like another toe. Boxers don't really like their feet messed with much, at least none of mine ever have, so we didn't notice until the swelling. Vet said to soak his foot twice a day for @ 10mins in warm ebson salts water. It took a bit but it eventually healed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts