Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? this might sound silly but i have just bought a kong for benson and read here that everyone fills them with pb, do you totally fill it? is it ok for the dog? my vet told me to put some pb on my finger every so often and stick it down the dogs throat so i can give him tablets easily if i ever need to but she said not to put a large amount on cos its bad for the dog thats why i was wondering what everyone else thinks? is pb ok (im not worried about him getting fat a few extra pounds would do him good) lol!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Peanut butter is not bad for them in moderation as a "treat".
Probably a TBSP of peanut butter in the kong is a good amount...don't "fill" the whole thing with peanut butter just smear it on the inside.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i thought so but i wasnt sure i will just fill with other dry treats and a little pb to make him interested. im looking forward to seeing him play with the kong,  i have no idea how he is going to get anything out of it it is so soild with such little holes! but im sure he will make a good attempt. thanks again for your advice! :D

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We buy little tiny dog biscuits (cookies) and fill the kong up with cookies, then put a spoon of pb over the big hole.  That way he licks off all the pb, then has cookies to "crunch" away all that gooey pb. :D

G

·
0 Posts
wow, I've been doing it all wrong..I prolly give them 3 big tbs..almost fill the whole thing with peanut butter, lol

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Trust me, if they eat too much of it in one day, they will puke.....just a fair warning.   8O   But I give probably about 2 to 3 tbsp of it but its usually once every two weeks or so.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I just use a little pb, mix some of their food in with it then seal up the hole with a little more pb and freeze it. But Chloe is very lazy when it comes to a kong..she just licks the pb that is covering the hole and she is done unless I sit there and take it out for her.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i tried giving Maple peanut butter today, and I gotta say it's my new best friend! i put a heaping teaspoonful in the kong and it kept her occupied for almost an hour!  she didn't seem to be able to get out the stuff from the skinny end of it, are they usually able to get that? or is it just there to tease them with the left over smell lol

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I take it and blend up banana, apple sauce and peanut butter in my little food chopper and then put it in the kong and freeze it. I use to use some of his kibble too but the pieces are so big now... it just wouldn't work! lol

Sometimes I let him have some straight off the plastic butter knife... he loves it! They all do!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Both dog love PB here.  We use it to give Jake his pills since he figured out that he could pick it out of a chunk of hot dog.  But as a treat sometimes I will put a little pb on two spoons and my son stands there and lets the dogs lick it off.  Its quite a site but both dogs and kid love it. although the other day I caught my son wiping it on the front of the dishwasher cause he thought it was so funny that Samson was "cleaning" the dishwasher!lol

·
Registered
880 Posts
What kind of peanut butter?  I only eat Adam's PB, it seems like that would be better for dogs than Jiffy or Skippy which is really sugary.

·
Registered
880 Posts
DKENNEDY\";p=\"93117 said:
IM LOST, WHAT IS A KONG? IM FROM A LITTLE TOWN IN TEXAS AND IVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT.
It's a tough rubber dog toy, that is hollow in the center.

Here is a basket of kong brand toys:

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is kinda off topic but someone mentioned something about lettin the dog lick your finger with pb to get them to where they can take a pill.  I have been havin go give Deuce pills the last week and I wrap them in a piece of cheese and he doesn't even realize there is a pill there

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
DKENNEDY\";p=\"93120 said:
THOSE LOOK COOL. CAN YOU GET THEM ANYWHERE OR ONLY PET STORES?
I have seen them in a lot of pet stores and you can order online at alot of places I know Petsmart online has them!  We have 4 of them....there would be a major ordeal here without Kongs.  Fiona gets one every morning and she expects it!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts