Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 week old boxer pup. She is doing great with her housetraining!
We started crate training her at 8 weeks, playing crate games, giving a treat or two to walk in, leaving the door open and she would go in and lie down for a bit. Thenprogressing to short stays in the crate while I shower or do dishes. Then extending the crate times as the days go by.
She is good in the crate and generally doesn’t cry or bark. Even when she does protest, she calms down and sleeps for a while. The only problem is she pees in the crate and lays in it. Even if she’s in there for 15 minutes. This if after I take her out, before she goes in. I have tried removing everything from the crate too, but that doesn’t seem to matter. I have a spray enzyme to remove the urine scent from the crate and pad as I thought that was part of the problem.That doesn’t seem to help so far.
Today I was going to try putting in a pillow case that has our scent on it, to see if that helps. I put in a thin pad to sleep on and a few hard rubber toys and her teething keys to bite on.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
She should have a small space in the crate big enough turn around to lie down. Dogs won't normally dirty where they sleep but if given too much room will try to go in one area. At 14 weeks I think my guy was going out about every 2 hours.

·
Registered
187 Posts
To be 100% honest it is not normal for a dog/pup to lay in their own waste.
Typically it;s only seen in puppy mill type dogs.. basically because it's all they have known.
I would personally start to manage her water and chart both her intake and pee (how often).
If she has free range of the water, stop.
Monitor her water and take her out to pee 15-20 mins after (sooner if your playing with her after.) If she doesn't pee take her out every 5 until she does. Then every hour after until she has more water...Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts