Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've been having some problems with Boz... it was a health thing, he was walking along and would wiz all over the floor, not like he meant to he would just go as he walked and it would get all over the place spanning 6 or 8 feet.  It was like he had no control over his bladder.  We took him to the vet and he said that Boz had christals in his hole that were stopping it up because he was dehydrating himself.  What was happening was it was cold outside so he knew if he didn't drink then he wouldn't have to go outside.  We take him out every couple hours.  I fill his water bowl two or three times a day.  Anyways we put him on antibiotics and a special food to make him want to eat more.  Well the meds and the food is gone and he's still doing it.  I don't know if I should discipline him because it doesn't seem as if he knows what he is doing... Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be that he knows what he is doing like he's marking his territory?  Do I need to take him to the vet again? I'm just beside myself, I don't know what to do about this.  I'm feeling like he's stopped telling us when he's got to go number 1 should I train him to give us signal for having to go potty?  When he's got to go number 2 he gets all squirrelly and jumps around like crazy and I just say "Gotta go Potty" and he'll jump around like crazy.  What should I do??

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
IMO I would not disipline him if its something that is not his fault.  Also I am not a vet but would think the vet would want to retest to make sure the infection is gone and the antibiotics did the trick.    Did they do an unrinalysis to rule out UTI?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Vet didn't do a Urinalysis on him, the vet felt him a lot and didn't think it was a UTI so doing it the way we did was the first step, we might want to bring him in to be tested.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
IMO I would test the urine.  My experiences with the UTIs is that my dogs would go to jump up on the couch and then all of a sudden - PEE!   I like like OMG?  You would walk them, they'd pee come back into the pool area and have an accident.

The only thin that would make me wonder is if it were a UTI how the antibiotics would go about just curing everthing or just one, but developing another....Sharon....(in my best Ozzy Osborn Voice).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll call the vet tomorrow! That a mess this has created! I'm afraid because we are bringing a puppy home in 2 week and what kind of example is Boz setting by peeing everywhere, What a goof!  I would have thought the antibiotics would have cured whatever the problem was... what a bummer.  The vet bill probably won't be pretty.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yeah but IMO better safe than sorry. I know we have used Clavomax for UTI's and you really need to stick to the dosage.  If the urine comes back clean, and the meds kicked the other thing, then may be something more serious that needs attention.   Im not a vet, so like I said everything is IMO.  But good luck and hope Baz gets over this little issue.

On the new pup side.  Make sure you use something like nature's miracle to remove the order.   Last think you need like you said is the pup to think the spots are a potty.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where can I find natures miracle? Is it better the resolve pet strain remover?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got to get some puppy supplies tomorrow at petco, so I'll for sure pick some up!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
that's really odd that the vet didn't do a urinalysis, if the antibiotic treatment wasn't strong enough to kick the infection there is a chance that it may have gotten worse, if it were me i'd definitely take him back in, at least you'll know if it's a health concern or a behavioral issue.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
that's really odd that the vet didn't do a urinalysis, if the antibiotic treatment wasn't strong enough to kick the infection there is a chance that it may have gotten worse, if it were me i'd definitely take him back in, at least you'll know if it's a health concern or a behavioral issue.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We get Simple Solution which is suppose to be EXACTLY like Natures Miracle but cheaper! I love it... it works great!!! We buy it at Petsmart

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've seen Atticus do this at the dog park the last couple of times we went, but never at home.  And it started on the same day that he actually seemed to be PURPOSELY trying to pee on a very small lap dog - he actually lifted his leg (for the first time I've ever seen) twice when that dog was nearby and peed right at him (he missed, but I don't think he meant to).  

Any idea what THAT means?  Purposely peeing on another, itsy-bitsy dog?

And both of those last trips to the dog park I also saw him peeing as he was loping along.  Very weird.

AnnA

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boz started doing it a good few months ago after getting home from the dog park or daycare. I thought it was just an excitment thing because he never did it with being over stimulated until about a month ago.  
I'd say purposly peeing on another dog would be a dominance thing? Like see how much bigger and better then you I am! Boz hardly lifes his leg when he's got to go potty like once every two days, what's up with that? Is it normal for a boxer to not want to lift the leg?  There for a while he experimented with different forms it was really funny! Like slight lean forward, a little foot raised.  Or go with out leaning forward, I laughed everytime!  I mean you'd think by two years of age he would have figured out his favorite way to go potty!
Ps.  Atticus is SUPER cute! I love his white stripe on his nose!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lizcantjump\";p=\"88106 said:
Is it normal for a boxer to not want to lift the leg?  

Ps.  Atticus is SUPER cute! I love his white stripe on his nose!
Aw, thanks :)  I really need to get a more recent pic of him in my sig line since he's such a big guy now though!  

I read somewhere once that a lot of dogs who are neutered young (at or before six months) never "graduate" to lifting their leg to pee.  I have no idea if it's true or not, just something I read!

AnnA

·
Registered
12 Posts
My boy is 9mons old now and has been having the same issue. He can be laying down and will pee himself. He pee'd his bed and left a trail headed straight for the door last night. He knew it was wrong to go in the house and waited to finish when I let him outside.

Has anyone else had this problem? Should I expect it to go away? My wife's uncle is our Vet and will be checking him this weekend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just had to laugh at the lifting of the leg thing, Tasha was raised with all male dogs so she squats and lifts one leg up to pee.. it is funny to watch :).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
whj812, I would be concerned for UTI or something else going on especially if he knew to go outside but appeared he couldnt hold it! Sounds like a vet visit is in order :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts