Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Renovating the home I grew up in. I am keeping a blog of the progress and on going work. Have had the blog going since October of 2014. A lot of work has been done but still a lot of work to do...

I have had some help with a crew that put the roof on and a crew to get me dried in with the kitchen addition. The rest of the work I am mostly doing on my own right now. I enjoy the solitude but my boxer boys keep me company.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

https://pennmarshallstonehouse.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I read your blog from start to finish. What a wonderful project! I'm fascinated with old houses. I would be absolutely giddy living in a home that's about 200 years old! I wish I had the skills to take on a huge remodel and do it all myself. There are tons of old farmhouses around that are dirt cheap because they need some major overhauls. I also love the quiet solitude of living out away from the city, but my husband is a city boy through and through. Two days in the country and he starts to get a little twitchy. LOL

I loved reading how your daughter is spending time with you at the house. Such great memories you are giving her. Those moments are absolutely priceless!

Looking forward to seeing your progress! Enjoy every minute! :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Amazing ! I haven't read your entire blog yet but that house is going to be amazing. I love old houses, for me at this point in my life its too much work but it would be great to have a home that has been in the family. Its funny years ago most of us stayed in the home we grew up in or close by, when I was a child there was an entire section of town that we were all related too, for me over the years we are all moved around to different parts of the US. There is maybe one relative left in the town where I grew up. You are making wonderful memories for your family.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, I appreciate the support. Means a lot to me.

I get overwhelmed often with this project. A lot going on and a lot on my mind with family. My son is a freshman in college and we are still living in a smaller home in town. I retired fairly young and I am working on the house full time. Financially I may have to go back to work somewhere. You either have lots of time and less (or no..) money or extra money and less time I reckon. The old can't have the cake and eat it too...

Trying to hang in there mentally and take care of myself physically. I am fairly young but at 47 I am not as strong as I once was. Balance not as good when I was younger. Losing my vision up close so about time for reading glasses. Makes it difficult for marking and cutting while doing carpentry work. I have a bit of arthritis but stay physically active and feel in good shape for my age. Just have to be real careful and work slow.

I enjoy physical labor, carpentry work and this sort of thing. I will feel a lot better when we get moved in after the kitchen and first floor bathroom is finished. Selling the house in town will be a big help and a load off my mind.

I plan to hire a few things out like the drywall work on a large portion of the walls.
I am determined to finish this place.

Thanks again for the comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts