Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a vet to check on getting Tango's ears cropped.  The vet asked me if I have him on any supplements.  I told him no.  The vet then suggested that I get him started on Pet-Cal because I only have one shot in the first year in making Tango's skeletal structure the best it can be.  

I have then read many negatives about supplements.  Does anyone else give their puppies supplements.  He is on science diet dry food and all the treats we will give him lol.  I have heard that the supplement can cause the bones to grow faster than they should causing joint problems.  The vet told me he should have the supplement to combat against any hip or joint problems.

This came from the same vet that wanted me to wait another month before cropping.  Tango is on the borderline for being cropped at 12 weeks.  

We see another vet today at 5:30 to get his take on the ears and I will ask him about Pet-Cal at that time.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Never heard of pet-cal but heard that Solid Gold Seameal is a good natural supplement.  I have heard very bad things about Science Diet, not a good quality food and lots of vets push it because they get money on what they sell.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I don't see any reason for Tango to be on any supplements. To be honest, I would change him from the Science Diet, it really is not that good of food...Most GOOD quality foods provide all the nutrients that your pup needs, no reason to give any kind of supplement..If you feel the need to give extra calcium, get some low fat, plain yogurt or cottage cheese and put a teaspoon of that in his food, or mix a bit of Peanut Butter with it and put it in a Kong...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8O  I never knew that about the Science Diet.  I guess my next question is a good brand then and is it available everywhere.  I have seen one company that came out with brand specific dog food.

I bring up the pet-cal because I remember reading that Odin was put on the supplement when he had his ears done.  Odin's Dad or Mom can you comment on this.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
The vet then suggested that I get him started on Pet-Cal because I only have one shot in the first year in making Tango's skeletal structure the best it can be
I am having a hard time believing this one.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am sure that the Pet Cal was used after the crop to help with the bones and such and only temporarily if I remember...

As for the foods, here's 2 topics to read, one is a list of foods recomended by whole dog journal, the second is a post I did a couple days ago on grading your dog's food..Keep in mind, what works for one dog doesn't necessarily work for another. If allergies are an issue, some foods can't be used...Sometimes it's just trial and error, but buy small bags to experiment to see what works best for Tango...

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=659

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=2063

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hmmm I never heard anything about Pet Supplements, I figured they got most of their nutrition from their food. I agree with Samson's mom, I don't see why they would have to be on them.

I give Macy and Guido Purina, simply because I can't afford the more expensive stuff.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think the expense actually equals out. If you are feeding purina, your dog will most likely be eating more than lets say if he was eating Canidae. The more premium foods have better ingredients with no added fillers so they actually eat less, and poop less! An added benefit!  :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the additional info and posts.  I have learned so much since I have joined this forum.

It looks like I will have to switch foods as well as ditch the supplement.  If the supplement is only temporary for the ear crop I guess the vet doesn't understand our breed very well.

I looked the pills up when I got home and they probably make a good amount on them too.  They were price about 13.00 over what I could of got them for somewhere else.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is always a good thing lol.  I don't live close to a petsmart or any of those types of stores. I have to choose between what Target, Walmart, and the vets offer.  I guess I can order the food online but then I have to consider shipping costs.  

[quote="tootsie\";p=\"22374":2pxtke8q]I think the expense actually equals out. If you are feeding purina, your dog will most likely be eating more than lets say if he was eating Canidae. The more premium foods have better ingredients with no added fillers so they actually eat less, and poop less! An added benefit!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Tango, when you find a place that ships you have to look for one that ships by total dollar amount and not by weight.

I like this link and they have human grade kibble too .

www.jbpet.com

If at petsmart or petco, stick with Royal Canin, Nutro Ultra, or Blue Buffalo.    We started of Blue, it was pretty good for us, but I think you get ripped off with their price.  

PM me where you live, (town state) if you want.  I am sure I can find something or a store that sells some good stuff:)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I read somewhere, I think it was here, that Drs. Foster and Smith were going to be selling their pet foods at Target stores. That would be an excellent choice of food as well.
A lot of the premium foods such as, Canidae, Chicken Soup, Merrick, etc. are not sold at Petco or Petsmart. Usually your local mom and pop feed stores, or a natural food store such as Ada's will carry them. You might just have to check around.  :wink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be great if foster and smith had target carry their food.  I will check out a few local stores. It was never a big deal because I always thought Science Diet was the premium food.

Now I am beginning to think the vet I went to wasn't serious about cropping Tango's ears but only wanted the sale for the food and supplements.  Kind of sad.

Hopefully this vet we see today is a lot better.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lisa, yea, Dr Fosters is selling at Target, but not all of them! So you have to check to make sure if yours carries it or not..I was doing some web searching yesterday and discovered that....The smaller individually owned pet stores, Like Hanna said are also really good options, don't forget those...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have one independent pet store here so I will check it out.  Everyone else in this town is in love with Science Diet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts