Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have ASPCA pet insurance for both of my dogs. It's pretty good compare to the other ones out there. It covers illness and accident. However, you have to meet the $100.00 deductible, and you have to pay first and then they will reinburse you like 80%. it takes about 3 weeks after you file a claim. I pay $40.00 a month for both puppies. I just feel safer with it just incase.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I had VPI for Hanna.  I spent about 30 bucks a month.  She had routine ear infections, and a spay - that was it.   I spent 360.00 for the year in premiums, got back 170.00 I also paid about 600.00 for all her shots, spay, and ear infection 1 UTI bill, and still got back....170.00

So.....with that said and getting Kash I now

Have canceled pet insurance and put 25.00 a week into the doggie savings account.   My dogs are heathy (knock on wood) and they come from health tested parents with no genetic ailments in their lines.  I feel confident that the 25/week will be fine and we have not had any issues since getting Kash.     However shall I have purchased a dog from a pet store or a place where I have no clue on their lineage or that they were not from health tested parents, then most likely the 360.00 per year for the premium may be worth it for the unknown.  You most likely cannot obtain insurance with a predetermined condtion so for something like that, you will have to weight it out.

I do know some people who its saved their lives.  And others who have done fine with the health savings account thing.   I just think you got to see how succeptable your dog is to things and weight it out from there.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tootsie
I guess its one of things that could go either way.  I do have the Care Credit which I have had for years for my dentist, so I guess I might just stick w/that and HOPE the best! :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have VPI pet insurance and swear by it.  For me, it is great because Allie has allergies so if there is a flare up, she is covered.  They also pay for her heartworm medication, vaccinations, other medication (ear drops, etc) and routine visits.  I can also use it when we are overseas as long as I have a US mailing address (thanks Mom).   :D I also opted to include the cancer care because I had read Boxers were prone to getting cancer.  I pay about $30 a month.  So far I have gotten back almost 90% of each bill I have submitted.  The only one I didn't get that much back on was the visit I took her to for the health screening prior to flying to Albania.  They said if I had a better diagnosis than wellness check up, they would pay but they covered almost all of the heartworm medication, flea preventative, the drontal pill she had to take. and her rabies shot.  I was only out the cost of the office visit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts