Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 12 week old white boxer. We are looking into pet insurance. With everything we have read about the health issues of boxers, we are thinking it might be a good idea.

Does anyone have pet insurance and can give us some advice?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
I don't have pet insurance - although there have been times I wish I had.
I can't give any recommendations, although I've seen a lot of people have Trupanion.
Good luck on your quest for advice.

:)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I always recommend either trupanion or petplan. They are the only two companies, as far as I know, that will not consider a disease/condition diagnosed in 2012 for example as a pre-existing condition in 2013. I am no expert in the area but this was the case when I conducted my research. Here is a link to a good site that has customer reviews:

Pet Insurance Review - comparison of VPI, ASPCA, etc.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
The rescue where I got Karma gave a free 1 month pet insurance plan and I never followed up and re-newed it. I still regret it; especially since I knew that she had health issues when I got her. It was a really poor decision on my part.

I would say, regardless of health issues it is probably a good idea but you never know when something unexpected can happen.

More and more of my friends have been getting pet insurance and, while they do sometimes have issues with having things covered or getting timely reimbursements - they generally have positive things to say. (Mostly about the Trupanion)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would go with Trupanion. Although white boxers DO NOT have more health problems than other boxers, but boxers in general do have more health complications than some other breeds. I will never own a pet without having pet insurance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've had Trupanion and VPI in the past, trupanion was much easier to deal with and I'd recommend them. We currently don't have it, we have a savings account setup for unforeseen health problems/injuries. I would recommend the insurance, as you need to have a pretty good chunk of money saved because some issues can be very expensive.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I am with Trupanion although I haven't had to use them, thankfully. but my sister recommended them to me and she has nothing but great things to say about them

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have also heard very good things about Trupanion. Friends of ours have an english bulldog and a lab on it, and are very happy with it so far. I wanted to get Trupanion insurance for our little guy, but my husband wasn't comfortable with the cost. His point of view is at the monthly quote of $55 for our boxer with a $250 deductible, we could potentially spend $6000 on insurance over a 10 year lifespan of the dog (more if premiums increase with age), and if we never make a claim, that money is wasted. We are lucky to be in a stable financial position with good credit, so we have the option of using savings or credit if there is a medical emergency. I hope this is one situation where I don't get to say 'I told you so' to my hubby!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
We currently are with Trupanion. Leila hasn't had any major medical issues but we've taken her in for kennel cough and a few vet visits for minor issues. At a little under $25/month and with a $500 deductible, I still think it's worth it because of the peace of mind it gives me knowing that we can give Leila medical help if any major medical crisis comes around.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have also heard very good things about Trupanion. Friends of ours have an english bulldog and a lab on it, and are very happy with it so far. I wanted to get Trupanion insurance for our little guy, but my husband wasn't comfortable with the cost. His point of view is at the monthly quote of $55 for our boxer with a $250 deductible, we could potentially spend $6000 on insurance over a 10 year lifespan of the dog (more if premiums increase with age), and if we never make a claim, that money is wasted. We are lucky to be in a stable financial position with good credit, so we have the option of using savings or credit if there is a medical emergency. I hope this is one situation where I don't get to say 'I told you so' to my hubby!
I would call you very lucky if you didn't have to spend more than $6000 on medical expences over a 10 year lifespan of your dog. If your dog tears a cruciate ligament (very common in boxers), he'll need a $4000 surgery. Aspen broke her leg and it costed $1500. She has a pulled ligament right now so we did x-rays and it costed $400 because she had to be sedated (and the x-rays didn't show anything wrong so it didn't even get us closer to a diagnosis). My golden retriever had cancer (cancer is very common in boxers as well) and the last week of his life costed me $12 000 (he also needed to have surgery on both of his knees which costed a total of $8000). I hear a lot of people saying that they'll just take what they would pay per month as a deductable and put it in the bank to save for a medical emergency. If I had saved $55/month I would have had to save for over 25 years to pay for all my dog's medical bills (and I've only had Aspen for 1 year and I had my golden for 4 years).

I'm just saying, bills can add up FAST. I hope they never do in your case!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I hear you Jessmke, I have tried to explain the high cost of surgeries etc. to my husband. He simply doesn't believe me that the costs could get so high so fast. I've actually considered just taking out the insurance myself, secretly!

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I was looking for the pet insurance for my boxer I found PetInsuranceFinder. This is a place where the reviewed and rated info about the most popular pet insurance are gathered. So you can easily compare a few insurances by prices, conditions, and quotas. I hope this info will help you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts