Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been talking about getting pet insurance for our puppy Sadie and we think that it seems to be a good idea. (rather be safe than sorry) How many of you have pet insurance and if you do has it been a good investment?  :think:

I think we will end up getting it, but I'm interested to know if it is common...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I got insurance for Hanna.   I have paid over 1700 in vet bills - little stuff like shots, couple of UTIs, Ear infections, allergies, as well as microchip and spay.   However I have only received in the first year around 200 back in claims.   I pay 27 per month.  

So I shelled out 324.00 so I am at a loss.   Now I have the second dog.   I decided to cancel insurance, and just set aside 25.00 per week into the "dog" account to pay for vet bills.  

It also depends on your dog.  Mine come from Health Tested parents and although nothing is a guarantee, I have hopefully selected pups that have been screened for many common boxer diseases.

I would purchase insurance if I bought by dogs from a pet store or a BYB esp if their parents are not heath tested and if you cannot trace the pedigree.    My lines have longetivity and I am hoping for the same with my two.

For some it works great (insurance) and others not so, so I really think everyone has to evaluate their situation, the health history of the dog, and then make a decision from there.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I had brought this topic up before and it was a mixed bag. We decided to tryout the insurance that ASCPA ( I THINK THAT IS RIGHT) offers. they have different plans and we just have the accidental coverage. it is relatively cheap and I have heard good things about this particular insurance. I can't tell you first hand however as we just enrolled.

Alot of people like hannabanana save their funds and find that to work for them too. I guess it all depends on the monetary situaation you are in.

I figured I could try the insurance and if it works great, if not we drop since there is no contract. Just make sure if yuo decide to go with the insurance route that you ask as many questions as possible. I have heard a few horror stories form the "big" pet insurance companies (VPI, Petcare...) as far was them avoiding payment and the hoops you have to go through to get them to pay for something so we didn't go with them.

From what I am gathering from folks here it is 50/50.
If you are interested in checking out ASPCA the link is provided below.

www.aspcapetinsurance.com

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys. We are going to think about it a bit more before making a decision, weigh all of the options.  I would hate to be lose money...

HannaBannana-Thanks for the $25/week savings idea. That may work for us...

Honeysec-That sounds like a great plan you have, I wonder if we have anything comparable in Canada? I'll have to look into it.

Thanks!  :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
We don't have it for our pups!  we go to a really reasonable vet!!  I have always wondered if it was worth the cost.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Sadiesmomma,

We live in Canada and we have insurance for our Boxer through Petplan.  We pay $26/month and are pleased with what is covered.  Check out their website.  They have different plans at different prices.  

www.petplan.com

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RayRay\";p=\"22234 said:
Hey Sadiesmomma,

We live in Canada and we have insurance for our Boxer through Petplan.  We pay $26/month and are pleased with what is covered.  Check out their website.  They have different plans at different prices.  

www.petplan.com
We were actually looking at this company, which plan do you have? Cover for life, or petmedic?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was just coming here to ask this question lol.

I got so much info from the vet and I have no clue what to pick.  Petplan is one of them... they also gave me 6 weeks free insurance.

So do people think it's worth getting pet insurance?  I feel like it is but I feel I need to go with something more than $26 a month on Petplan.  Only because when my Yorkie got hurt it would of costed almost 10grand to fix her and certain plans on Petplan only cover 4grand.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i am currently pondering this issue, should we or shouldn't we.  i've never had insurance for our pets but worry the pet insurance might be less than ideal.  i do like the suggegstion of saving $25 each paycheck though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts