Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I tried the search function but was unable to locate any info relevant to my question. *I WILL* be purchasing a pet insurance policy for Chino. What limits should I choose?? I was thinking between 2-5K, just because he is a young healthy pup and I didn't want to go broke *IF* I didn't have to...What companies are good in your opinion...I'm looking into Embrace and PetFirst (they had the best reviews). I thought about Banfield but didn't want to be confined to one CORPORATE owned clinic and Banfield is a wellness plan not insurance...HELP?? :wink:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I think VPI is the most wide spread, we were going to purchase it too until I joined thsi forum and read people's feedback on their experience with it, and it didn't convince me to buy it, what I have see on here though is people put aside the money they would have paid monthly to the insurance, and if something ever does happen there is a fund going to help the doggie receive the necessary care, so we are basically setting aside $30 a month towards Maple's future health care if ever needed.  
p.s. I remember reading that they didn't cover any "breed specific" illnesses which is why we decided to not go with the insurance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VPI had the WORST reviews, that is why I opted for Embrace and PetFirst. Both of these companies pay for genetic conditions as long as they are not pre-existing. With Petfirst well care benefits come standard with the policy and with embrace your policy is customizable but does not include and option for well care benefits. I like Embrace the most but I just don't know what limit to choose...the maximums start at $2000 and go up to $10,000 and the premiums are as small as $13/mth...

·
Registered
52 Posts
We use PetFirst. I am pretty happy with it. We pay $35/mo and we get $9000 worth of coverage annually with an incident limit of $2500.

This also includes $220 worth of routine care for the year. So you figure , if you use all the routine care per year, you are only really paying $200 per year for good piece of mind. Yeah, some of the more genetic illnesses aren't covered, but most of them are. Especially with Boxer play, broken limbs and other maladies can cost serious $$$$. They reimburse 90% of the costs after a $50 dollar deductible, and since it's a reimbursement program, any licensed vet is covered.

I got my reimbursements for the routine care pretty quick and painless, just have the Vet sign a claims form, get a copy of the receipt and send it in. A couple weeks later they'll cut you a check.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I remember looking into AKC health insurance... but we just decided to save up money. Though if I recall correctly they do cover breed specific problems... don't hold me to it... when I get time after a bit I'll look to see if I'm actually right on that or not.

G

·
0 Posts
I think personally the best bet would be to put the money aside in an emergency savings account.  that way you collect interest while your puppy is healthy, and you have the money set aside if she gets injured or sick.  That way you are controlling the money and no matter what happens, you know you have the money for it.   A lot of insurance companies will only cover CERTAIN expenses and injuries.  What if Chino comes down with something not covered?  Then you've paid all that money over time and you can't get her treated.  I know a lot of the insurance companies won't cover a lot of the boxer related illnesses- cardiomyopathy, hip displasia, etc...you should definately make sure that both of those things are covered in your plan if you go with insurance...very common boxer problems- especially the heart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts