Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there are alot of them out there and we are considering getting it..but need to know the ins and outs...what are the good ones bad ones...etc etc

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Haven't looked into in a long time, a few years ago when it was becoming more popular I talked it over with the vet and at the time the premiums were pretty high for what was actually covered. Maybe coverage has improved by now????

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what im wondering...does it cover what it says or are there surprises when situations arise? ...things that are printed in a lupole type way :roll:

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i  have VPI pet insurance for sumya .. i pay 30 a month for the best coverage they have available. as many times as she has been to the vet it is totally worth it.i just dropped 220$ yesterday and i will probably get about  half of that back.2 things to keep in mind though.. 1) they do not cover pre-existing conditions  2) you have a deductiblle to meet.i can't remember what mine is.. like 40 dollars i think.so sometimes i let all the little things add up so i get them all out of the way at once.if you can i would say definitely do it. i have been really satisfied.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I got it for Hanna in her first year.  30 bucks a month.  So I paid 360.00 for the year.   She is very healthy and came from a good breeder, can go back 3 generations on her pedigree and is from health tested parents.  She has only been to the vet for alergies, and an ear infection, and a spay.  I literally got  98.00 back in vet bills in which I paid about 1k for.   So IMO was not worth it for us.  Its is great in some cases but not for us.

Now with the two dogs we have a "dog" account set aside.   I put $25.00 a week into an account for the dogs.   If they are healthy, which they are, it accumulates.  If they are not, I have the fund readily available to pay for vet bills.  They way I look at it is, I am not giving someone 30 bucks a month for one dog regardless if they are healthy or not.   By knowing all their history and screening for possible illness, I feel good about their health.  If I did not know the background of the dog, where they came from, lineage, or if they were not health tested, Id probablly opt for an insurance policy.   But you have to look at the situation and make the best economical descison based on your needs.:)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Good question, I wanted to ask the same thing.  I just dropped $100 for a case of conjunctivitis.  I can't imagine how I'd afford something serious, nevermind the in-between "minor" issues (minor until you get the bill).  

What are the options?  Where do I even start looking?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've heard both good & bad things about pet insurance. Don't remember which company but someone ran into an issue where they refused to pay for something that should have been covered...I would rather do like Heather is, just set aside a certain amount weekly or monthly towards possible vet bills....I think one company is called VSI, and also Nationwide Auto Insurance is starting to cover pets as well :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree that a doggie savings account is the best way to go....Take the $30 a month premium and put it in an account at the end of the year if you did not need it that is great...if something happens you will have it.....Pet Insurance is like people insurance there is good and bad...and keep in mind not all vet's take it....It is very costly for a vet to sign up to take it and like human med's there is an inflation of price for those that file on insurance :)

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i think the one i have works different, i pay out of pocket and then submit a claim so i don't have to do it thru the vet, that doggie savings account sounds like a good idea though.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya thats what we've been doing...we have an emergency fund..we both contribute per week..hubby always puts in 50 a week and i put in 50 or 100 depends on how business has been..

we figuere it covers the animals, and anything else that might come up...

did that after i needed to fly last minute to mass when grampa died and the army charged us 4000 for me to fly home the day AFTER the funeral...be there 3 days and come back get stuck over night at lax with my autistic son..terminals all close over night except air china and hotels within 3 hours of airport were all booked for a convention..and we had to pay for that :roll: there was no discount...unreal !! so we figuere if we have an anything emergency account its better...we didnt know about mac flights at the time and NO ONE offered up that info.. 8O although here in hawaii you divert to guam,germany or japan first...no thanks..lol..24 hour flights with a 3 year old were bad enough

jsut wondered if anyone had good luck with the pet ins...i always have really heard unhappy results...jsut wondered..

8O think well stick with our own little plan lol

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Hey there are gppd and bad one's you just got to do your research....There are the one's like sumyasmom has that you get paid back and those work great because you can use any vet you want.....the downside is that if you dont have the money up front...I think that is where the savings account is a plus....Sometimes it is not easy to come up with the funds in any emergency and lets face it vet bills can run higher then you expect for simple things and grow from there for a real emergency.  I had a client thats dog got hit by a car and she was reffered to a bone surgeon....she came back to me to have the stitches and staples out and I saw her bill...$2800.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
We got VPI when we brought Daisy home @ 8 weeks old (she's 5 months now).  It's about $22 a month, but it has easily paid for itself.  The reimbursement schedule is a little confusing, but they will adjust your claim form and sent you a check, usually within a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts