Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping this is within the rules to post, if not let me know and I'll delete it. I'm just very angry, bc I thought only the oblivious were okay with Petsmarts Bully Breed Ban, and I recently saw a thread on another site that makes it sound like this is not the case.
I've refused to go to Petsmart ever because of this, and when I was looking for a job with dogs my first question was always 'Do you have any Breed bans?' If the answer was yes, I didn't waste my time applying. Now I have a likely APBT Boxer mix, but that has only been the case for a month or two, and this Ban has always enraged me.
Would any of guys actually be comfortable having someone babysit your dog if they had Breed bans? I just feel like it's so absurd and almost lazy to do things this way... I mean the AVMA has spoken out against it, it's basically impossible to find a reputable advocate, and how are you not able to weed out dog-aggressive dogs based on personality? That's one of the things that gets me the most, we watch any new dog like a hawk, and know most of them up and down... If these people are using BREED as a primary indicator, that scares me. Am I just biased?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yeah that's b.s... Excuse my lack of knowledge, but is that all petsmart's in North America? I don't go to petsmart, I have come to terms with the fact that I'd getter better service from monkeys..

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'm in Louisiana and I also don't know of any breed bans. I see pitts all the time in ours. I don't care for breed bans either but irresponsible pet owners caused this where it does exit. I know my home owners insurance doesn't cover you if you own specific breeds and thats becoming pretty the norm. My neighbor had a 12 year old doberman and when they went over her policy and found out she owned a doberman they threatened to cancel her. She made the adjuster come out and meet the dog, the dog was so arthritic at this point (she was an old sweet sweet rescue that she had for years) they didn't cancel her but they di do a rider that stated if the dog caused any injury to anyone she would not be covered under her homeowners policy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michigan. I'm pretty sure it's at least the US? It's just daycare though, we have a few clients who trained and everything there, and when they tried to take the dog to daycare, they weren't allowed.
I don't agree with the insurance bans either, but I mean this is a Doggy daycare, you know? I can understand the insurance thing, but these are people that are supposed to be canine experts, and not only do they have a policy the general dog experts wouldn't agree with, but they are apparently incapable of differentiating between a dog friendly and dog aggressive dog on an individual basis. It just makes me feel like they should be getting the dogs so well that Breed should only be a TINY factor, if that makes sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts