Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

· Registered
2,134 Posts
Oh my bad, I read little girl as a 3 year old - anyway - hope it all works out for you and maybe the little girl could come over and help walk the dog or just socialize him/her.  A win-win situation for both the dog and the little girl.  Good luck and keep us posted.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I got more information this evening and it isn't what I thought it would be. The father of the daughter decided to keep the dog, but it stays outside. I'm going to see what I can do to change her and the little girl's mind!

Stay Tuned!
Chase

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Lately we have been talking about getting an additional boxer to be with Lexie. There is this person that my mom works with and her son keeps the boxer outside in the cold temperatures and they don't like the dog, but there daughter does, but today they made their decision to get rid of the dog! Which means Lexie will have someone with her if they get along. The lady will be here in 30 minutes to drop off the dog. Wish us luck!

Chase

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments. I am a bit nervous though. Below is an update of how they reacted today..

Well around 12:00pm the women came and Lexie and Sammy finally met. It was a bit nervous at first, but then Lexie started foaming at the mouth and eating grass. I hope she was eating it only because she was nervous, but I don't know.

Once we left them inside and Sammy explored the area a few things took place. Sammy took one of Lexie's bones that she doesn't like anymore and ran to a rug and when Lexie would walk by Sammy would growl. We told Sammy no and I don't think she got the picture.

A little while later we were talking to Lexie and petting on her when Sammy came up and jumped on Lexie and started growling. Lexie tried to run off, but Sammy kept on giving her crap. He broke up that arguemnt quick.

Instead of leaving Sammy and Lexie alone while my mother worked she took Sammy to work with her. Once we got back this evening we introduced Goodie ( Soft food ) to the both of them and Sammy tried to take over Lexie's bowl. Lexie let her once again.

I'm worried that poor Lexie is going to be upset and not improce from having a friend, but I guess they will become friends over time, well at least I hope they do. If things don't work out we know a lady who owns a Boxer Rescue and I'm sure she would find it a great home!

Now my finaly question, who do you think is alpha at this point? I figured it would be Lexie since Lexie is older and has lived at the house longer, but I guess that doesn't matter.

I hope things improve around bedtime. I will have an update when the family heads to bed. I will be staying up late to work on some things plus I want to watch some TV so I will update the site often to see how they are doing.

Yes, photos of Sammy will be coming soon. I am still trying to get photos with both of them, but they aren't getting too close yet.

Wish us luck!
Chase

· Registered
3,730 Posts
Don't know about alpha yet, might be too soon? Sounds like Sammy is trying to find where the boundries are. Give them some more time, watch them closely and let us know how it's going. Maybe members with 2 or more boxers can tell you how to re-enforce Lexies alpha role. Good Luck.

· Registered
5,691 Posts
Chase..i got your mssg on msn after i think you went to sleep...dont worry about it..i really think they will be fine...youll know if Lexies unhappy..but give it time so they can establish their roles..Sammys got to kind of realize that shes a part of a family now etc

:) tlak in the morning and hopefully things will go well this weekend..:) Kisses & Hugz to Lex...& Sammy 2

· Registered
18,320 Posts
Also remember, if Lexie wasn't the Alpha before, she is probably used to being the submissive one and is just continuing what she is used to...The fact that she allowed Sammy to "take over" when they were eating is a good indicator...Sammy, being the "new kid on the block" is also trying to find her place in the pecking order, so she very well may end up being Alpha, which is fine as long as Lexie is good with that. I would definitely give it a few days, let them both get used to each other and see how it goes before making any decisions.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.