Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Since I was last on we had to put Trigger down after finding out he had cancer (lymphoma).  We found a family who breed boxers and the mom just had a litter of 9 pups.  

My question is when do pups start to show their personalities?  We are not in the looks but the disposition and don't want to pick out one until we can see that.   They are asking for deposits but we don't want to give one and end up with a dog that doesn't fit into our household esp. with a 4 month old baby.

Thank,

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Sorry to hear about Trigger...

I have only been around Maggie and Jessie at a young age... and I dont think either of them really showed their personalities till they were a few months old

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sorry about your loss.My breeder accepts 3 deposits before the pup is born but if you dont find what you like she gives it back.She also allows you to come see the pups then put a deposit down.If your not comfortable with putting a deposit down keep looking.Youll find what your looking for sooner or later  :wink:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sorry to hear about Trigger. I couldnt really see any personality in Zeus except he was lazy and loud and biggest in the litter. But good luck with the one you choose.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm sorry about your loss.  I would say that you don't start to notice their personalities until they're about 3-4 months old, but that's only a guess.  I got Roxy at 3 months and Astro at 4 months...Roxy still wasn't showing her full personality until about 2 weeks after I got her, and Astro showed his personality since the very first day we saw him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

bubba-that is what we want.......the biggest of the litter and the one that gets all the food.   (Trigger was called "Tubby" of the group be for we got him :lol: )  Right now we have our eye on "big boy" so we shall see.

I'm going to e-mail her and ask if she gives the deposits back if we don't find the pup we are looking for.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Sorry for your loss. :(

I think about 12 - 14 weeks is when personality starts to show.  Good luck and we're praying for  you.

Z

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
So sorry to hear about Trigger. But I can't stress enough to make sure the deposit is fully refundable and make sure you get it in writing. I had to learn that the hard way.  Good Luck  :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Sorry about Trigger...
Good luck in your search. I really never dealt with a breeder so I am of no help.  :wink:

·
Registered
616 Posts
We knew right away with Scout.  The breeder told us he was the runt of the litter but that he was a small dog with a big dog attitude.  He has always been a Type A dog.  Gunner on the other hand was fiesty when he was young but has turned out to be a pretty mellow dog.  It's really a hard call as to when you can see their true personality.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about Trigger, how difficult that must have been...A good breeder can tell pretty early some traits in her pups..If she are skittish, shy, those things come thru pretty early..When I visited Rhonda last month, she had a litter of 3 that were 5 wks, she told me all about every one, good points & bad, which will go to a single pet home, which needs older children..So yes, you can tell...There are some things you can also do if you visit the pups to determine certain behaviors..Stand back and watch how they interact with each other, see which pups are dominant, or submissive..Then after a bit get up close for a better inspection..See how each pup reactswhen you touch them, hold them and play..Are thay wagging their nubs? Do they seem shy? All those are signs of the temperment and personality..These are just a few things you can do to get an idea what kind of pup you are getting..

I do agree, if she is asking for deposits, find out more what exactly the terms of the deposit are..How old are the pups now? I would arrange to visit if you can and take a closer look....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Samsonsmom-thanks for all the good points.  

I did ask her and she will give our deposit back if we don't find what we are looking for.

Cholebellesmommy-good point about getting it in writing, thanks.

We are planning to visit the pups when they are 4 weeks and won't sell the one pup we have our eye on until we make a decision.  yay.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sorry for your loss!!!

When you get the biggest, most forward, and primary feeder pup from a litter 9 times out of 10 they will be the dominant pup.  They will be very forward, loud and jumpy when soliciting attention and meeting new people.  They will "push out" their siblings to eat and are usually the biggest pup out of the litter.  They may play more aggressively with their littermates (and win the games due to littermate submission).  

Out of personal experience as a trainer and through advice from my breeder, these pups can become a serious handful and may require more strict training than the other, more calm pups in the litter.

Get everything in writing from the breeder you're going through and try to meet the sire and dam (can be a pretty good show of temperament in the pup your getting).

Good Luck and again we're sorry for you loss!!!

Liz and Lilly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts