Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, we have an 11week old boxer female named Winter. When we got her the breeder had her on Diamond Puppy food, I did some research and found that it wasn’t the greatest so we slowly switched her over to Taste of the wild High Prairie puppy formula. She will eat good sometimes but not others and sometimes she just sniffs it and kind of turns her nose at it. We do water it down with warm water to make it a little softer for her to eat as she’s still a puppy. We also have a slow feeding bowl for her to slow her down and try and keep her interested in the food because she does seem to eat real fast and I know boxers Are susceptible to bloating. However we have another dog a schnauzer Yorky mix and she is on purina Smart blend chicken and rice formula and if we leave it down our boxer puppy goes ham on it. She will go right to it and start eating it and seems to like it. Of course we don’t let her eat it, it’s more we forgot we put it down for the other dog to eat. So I guess what I’m asking for is any recommendations for the boxer pup and her eating. Should we try to find another food that she may like better? Something with chicken? Or just keep at it with taste of the wild? Has anyone had an experience like this before? Does anyone have a different food recommendation besides taste of the wild? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much and I hope you all have a blessed day.
Dog Plant Sky Collar Tree

·
Registered
52 Posts
So cute! Do you do feedings in the crate? I found that very helpful both as a way to make the crate a happy place, and to give the dog a peaceful place to eat. That said, my girl would sometimes not eat meals, but I would still take the bowl up after 10 or 15 minutes and then no food until the next regular scheduled time - and no extra, just regular meals at regular times.
I've found that changing food several times to find what the dog will "like" actually creates the picky eater. Unless she really won't eat the food at all, I would just wait it out. A hungry puppy will eventually eat.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Please read the FDA warning list of dog foods linked to DCM. Purina puppy food is a good food thier pro plan products come recommended by most Vets and Royal Canin Boxer puppy is a good one too. Please be very careful I tragically lost two dogs to food related DCM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there, Winter is absolutely gorgeous. I have an almost 9 month old boxer girl. I bought her almost two months ago as she was in desperate need of a good home. I was told she was being fed scraps from a meat market so I’m sure if I put her on raw she would happily eat but I started her on a kibble from Horizon and the only puppy food they sold was chicken which didn’t work well for her. I was told to feed her large breed puppy grain inclusive because of the heart issues they can have and I had already lost an 11 year old boxer to heart failure which was devastating but trying to find grain inclusive was difficult but I did find it in Holistic Select. I had the same problem as you are having. I added warm water as well and she did like that but she’d lick it up and head for my boys bowl. I cook some roast beef or stew meat with some veggies and mash it up and add it too her bowl along with some Stella and Chewys magical dinner dust and change it up sometimes with the ground liver treats. Not a lot just enough to get her going and she now happily eats her meals. I checked with my vet and she was ok with it. I recently ran out of the Stella and Chewys and so did my pet store so I tried Primal freeze dried nuggets and crushed them up and they worked just as well. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to try another brand of food. I tried my frenchton on a different food recently and he flat out refused to eat it so I went back to his usual and he’s happy again. Good luck with your little one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts