Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 week old puppy, Lucy will not eat regular kibble. I had done my research and selected Taste of The Wild High Parari Puppy kibble. I soak it in water to make sure it’s soft and has already expanded. She wouldn’t eat that so I tried it dry and crunchy. Then I tried making a healthy mixture of brown rice, grass fed ground hamburger, puréed broccoli stalks and organic carrots-peas.. I mixed this with softened kibble. She ate it once or twice and then decided it wasn’t for her. I tried Taste of the Wild large breed adult kibble and a different brand. She still would not eat enough of the food for her little growing body. So I tried Taste of the Wild canned dog food mixed with the kibble. That didn’t work. She then would only eat the straight canned dog food. There is only 9% crude protein in the canned food and I know it’s probably the most unhealthy thing I could feed her. Her poop isn’t as solid anymore and she is very gassy from the canned stuff. I tried the “She will eat when she is hungry” method. She went a whole day without eating and then when she did eat she was so hungry I had to give her scrambled eggs because she still refused whatever dog food I was offering. I have been trying to find more ways to get her to eat more protein. Today I mixed half a can of tuna and some of the water in with her softened kibble. She ate about .5 to .75 cup of this. She seemed a little more interested in it than other things I have tried. I figure the tuna has to be better for her than the canned food. I have also tried mixing a raw egg in with her softened kibble as well. She ate it once but then just licked all the little pieces clean the next time it was offered. My brother feeds his adult dogs raw. I wouldn’t mind do this however I do think 12 weeks is too young to start them on the raw diet. I also would rather not have to do this. I really want her to eat her kibble with 30% crude protein in it. Is anyone else’s boxer this picky? Do I have to get creative with every meal I ever feed her? Someone help please!

Richele

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sorry, I'm no help in this. My guy Zuke will pretty much eat anything I give him. I use Acana singles.

I do know there is a raw diet thread on here that is very informative. Also helps you have a brother who does it. Might be the best way to go. Sounds like she really doesn't like any type of kibble.

Out of curiosity, what does she weigh at 12 weeks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucy weighs maybe 15 or 16 pounds. I haven’t taken her to the vet since 10 weeks. She was 11.9 pounds at 10 weeks. She has very long legs. I know I should be able to see her ribs but I can see her little hip bones. I don’t like that.
I also forgot to add that she doesn’t even love peanut butter. Barely interested in a spoon full right in front of her face. She will do anything for a cucumber though!

Richele

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Lucy weighs maybe 15 or 16 pounds. I haven’t taken her to the vet since 10 weeks. She was 11.9 pounds at 10 weeks. She has very long legs. I know I should be able to see her ribs but I can see her little hip bones. I don’t like that.
I also forgot to add that she doesn’t even love peanut butter. Barely interested in a spoon full right in front of her face. She will do anything for a cucumber though!

Richele

Seems like a decent weight for 12 weeks. Thats bizarre that she doesn't like peanut butter. lol, I think this would be the 1st time I heard that.

Hopefully someone else who has dealt with this can chime in. Good luck

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
She will not starve herself. Sometimes puppies just don't eat a meal here or there and I've even had one skip a day. Put her kibble down, whichever one is convenient for you and take it up in thirty minute. Don't feed her again until her next meal and repeat. Use her food also as treats and I found those little treat balls/puzzles helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone tells me the same thing about not starving herself, however I watch her do it. She doesn’t eat the kibble as a treat. She doesn’t eat treats as treats. She likes tuna now tho. I mix that with her food to get her more protein. I am pretty sure she just likes variety and she is not a morning eater. We are learning together but she definitely is not food motivated at all. She even stops eating for a good 5 mins half way thru every meal she does eat, then goes back to finish. There is nothing medically wrong with her, just isn’t a normal pupper.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Actually our boxer was the same way at that age. Part of it is teething issues. The more toppers you add the more picky she will become. At that age I fed 3x a day. I also used the puzzles that would spark some interest and he would eat kibble that way. He would skip a meal here or there sometimes a whole day. He was not skinny and his hip bones weren't showing. He was gaining weight so I did not worry. We also played games with his kibble, like "find it" which also helped get food in him. When he turned 3 years old he suddenly developed an appetitive and now will eat and eat if I let him. LOL Much of it is puppyhood. Be careful with peanut butter to be sure it does not contain xylitol. (Most peanut butters are free of the sweetener, but its use as a low-calorie alternative to sugar is increasing, which means dog owners need to be vigilant when it comes to what their pets are eating).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sounds like you're running a diner for this pup, the more things you add the more you're creating a picky eater, and i do think most pups do go through this stage Duke did as well when he was young.. you need to stick to your guns put the food down and back up if the puppy doesn't eat within a respectable time frame then she gets it at her next meal and repeat.. don't let her fool you by not eating in a day she will get hungry.. the entire mixing up her food so often is likely the culprit to loose stool... stick to one thing... if you feel the need to change food do a very gradual change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the tips. At Lucy’s most recent vet appointment, she is on target with her weight. 20.4lbs at 13 weeks. She just looks skinny to me and my family. This is our first boxer though. I have been trying to eliminate all the toppers at this point and also I feed her three times a day but I leave her food. We don’t have other pets that will steal it. She eats if she can graze and I am not so much in a panic about it anymore. But still interesting... she doesn’t like peanut butter, ground beef or scrambled eggs. The list is longer but these really surprise me. She also doesn’t like any treats we have purchased including Zukes and this makes it extremely difficult to train her. Lol she is a good girl though and still listens for the most part regardless of not being food motivated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there,

I recently read that taste of the wild has quite a few toxins in it AND that grain free dog foods may be linked to increased heart disease in dogs.. No idea how accurate all this information is, but might be something you want to look into..? I fed my girl taste of the wild grain free food (rotating protein) for about 5-6 years. She has had mast cell tumors and boxer cardiomyopathy. I switched to NutriSource about 1-2 years ago, and have noticed improvements in her poops and stomach-related issues, like frequency of nausea. And, I don't know if it's a coincidence, but her holter monitors are coming back cleaner and cleaner (she went for 80 arrythmias to 35 to 13 to 4) and her remaining mast cell tumors don't "flare" up as often (Maggie developed 3 new tumors since her surgery in 2015 removed 4, all low-grade)

Just thought I'd throw this info out there in case you want to research it... Also, I always praised Maggie as a puppy when she was eating because I didn't want her to be a skinny boxer. Even now she does the cutest thing where she stops in the middle of her meal to come get a couple "good girls" from me :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts