Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we've hit our first little road bump, Roxi has decided to turn her nose up at her food.. for no apparent reason she just doesn't like it anymore. She will nibble on it but then she turns on her nose and looks for scraps  not that she finds a great deal .. at most she'll discover a couple of cheerios from breakfast on the floor. Do I just take her cue and find a different dog food for her and if so does anybody have any good suggestions on which kind, or do I wait it out and see if she'll come around... I really don't want to spoil her but if she's not liking it.. I'd be more then happy to find a kind that she's happier with.  :?   grrr my poor lil girl
Or possible is this a normal puppy thing.... I doubt it  :roll:

Help...   8O

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
You can go two routes here. You can try another food, or use the thinking that when she gets hungry enough she'll eat it. If you are sure she just doesn't like it, then me personally, I would probably try another food.  Sometimes it takes a while to find a food that your girl will like and she does well on. There is a lot out there to choose from. I would buy a little bag of something else just to see if she likes it and go from there. What are you feeding now? If it is just dry, maybe adding a little can of the same brand would be more appealing for her. My last dog would not touch dry dog food without me putting in a half of a can of wet food. Maddie, on the other hand, prefers dry food alone. Not that it is bad for me....too easy!  :wink: Hang in there, you will find what works best for her.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been giving her Pedigree Puppy Chow with just a bit of water to soften it up.. that's what her breeder had been giving her. I will most definitely get some soft stuff to add to it and see if that helps perk her appetite
thanks for the advice  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'd hold off on the different food as you are feeding the same thing that she was used to...Now if you feel that you want to change, do it very slowly. She may just be going thru a phase, a lot of dogs do it, puppy and older dog..Try jazzing her food up just a bit, maybe a bit of chicken broth or something, mine love that.

I would try setting a time limit for her to eat, I think Chloesmom also is having this same problem, check out her thread too...Set out her food, give her 15-20 mins to eat, then take it up..She will get hungry eventually and I know a lot of people have told me that's how they feed their dogs..ME, mine clean their bowls in 60 seconds...Just joking, it may be a bit longer than that..

Let us know how she does....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I didn't get the soft food yet... instead I didn't put her bowl out till 12:30 and added 1/4 cup of warm decently warm water to it about 10 minutes before putting it out for her.. she gobbled most of the bowl

I think I might still switch her food but not for a few more weeks and then slowly... does anybody have a ratio for new vs old dog food I should give once I get some?

o.. and I had read the other thread too
great advice... much thanks  :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
If you change foods just do it slowly. Maybe for every cup you give her, try 1/3 cup of new food. Do that for a few days. Then add 1/2 and 1/2 for a few days.  Just keep adding more and more of the new food until she is eating 100% of the new food. Try doing it over a two week period, that should be sufficient. Good Luck, I don't think you will have any problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
just remember to supply a variety of different foods or atleast flavours......

would you like to eat for example a cheese sandwich for lunch EVERY day for your life??  

NO!  

neither do dogs!   chop and change and keep the variety up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts