Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i think it was a not so good day for everyone all around :) i ran into a group of kids on my walk today who scared the dickens out of my girls. They kept yelling at them, telling them "bad dogs" "dont bite me" and "pits are mean dogs...i cant believe you have them". Well enough was enough!! i put those little hellions in their place and kept on going!! the weird thing is that the kids kept following behing us, if they were so scared that my girls would hurt them then why do that?

ANYWHO~ here are a few pics from our park visit from a week or so ago. since my computer has been down this is the first chance i got to put them up.

ok this is a random pic but i think she is cute

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pits are only vicious if you teach them to be that way....just like any other breed. Kids can be so ignorant. Many times though they just act out for attention especially middle school aged children. My backyard backs up to a middle school. I can't tell you how many kids think its cool and funny to walk right in the middle of the street when cars are coming. One kid flicked me off one time for no reason as I was leaving my neighborhood. They become slightly more civil when they enter high school. But this isn't annoyingly ignorant middle school kids forums this is boxer forums and I must say yours are beautiful! They look so happy playing with each other! Do you really even have pitbulls?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Savannah's after getting HUGE!  I can totally relate to what you've been through, though - just this weekend Emmet and I were followed home by three boys who kept running past Tink, laughing at her trying to catch up with them (obviously she couldn't as she was on the lead), waiting til we'd walked past them and then doing it again, shrieking all the while.  They were getting her really agitated and after about three times I just said "If you do that again I'm letting her off the lead, and then you'll see who can run faster."  Needless to say, they legged it then.

At the risk of opening a huge can of worms here, in my experience it is almost always boys who engage in this type of behaviour - I don't think I've ever seen a group of girls teasing animals.  What's that about???

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Savannah and Reese look like they get along great! Their coats look great and they look so happy! Nice to see them playing so well together!  :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In answer to playtime24_7- no i dont have pits, but about two other people in our area has them, and the lady we are renting from has one that is prego. I guess that is why they think my girls are. . . and yes they were mostly boys. I thnk there may have been a girl or two in there but they really didnt say anything. I figure at this point the best thing to do is try to educate and move on. I kinda makes me sad though. So many people dont allow their kids to go near strange animals now-the parents are actually putting the fear in the child. We teach my daughter to always ask before petting, and have taught her to let the dog smell you first so as not to startle the animal. She does so well, i just wish others were that way to.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ahhh, look at those two!! Just having a romp in the park..Reese is getting soo big too...Savannah has the most glossiest coat Andrea, she looks fantastic.....

I have yet to have an incident like what happened to you, but obviously it's something they have gotten from their parents. How sad is that? I do agree that boys seem to be more the troublemakers than girls esp at that age....All we can do is try and educate as much as we can...What I appreciate is a child who approaches, but asks me first "can I pet your dog?" It scares some dogs if you just run up to them real fast...Ok, I'm getting off topic here....

Sounds like it was a bad day all around for a lot of us....Hugs to all of you and lets hope that today is a much better day!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Wow... I would have put them in their place too! There are so many rude kids now days. I was never like that... my parents taught me well. I was always polite... and never talked like that to people... of course I'm a girl... but my brother never did that either.

They are gorgeous and look NOTHING like pitbulls. You must be very happy to have such wonderful cuties that do so well together!

·
Registered
780 Posts
They are beautiful!  What fun they had in the park.  Looks like they really get along well.  

Do you ever have any problems with them getting mad at each other?  Our girls would be perfect together and then the littlest thing could set them off!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Isnt it funny how our confidence can be demolished by a couple of un-educated kids?? let me say that differently, kids that were taught the wrong thing! I think your babys look happy and care free, they play well together. To us, PIT, poodle, chuaua, mastiff, or boxer, we love them all and Do not descriminate. The best thing that we can do is educate people and move on with our business. Then think of our own happy moments like our babys playing happily in the park. What more could we ask for?? Our dogs are known for loving us so much, we cant help it if they are misread. But we know how they are, and thats what matters. After all it was us that  shelled out the cash, not the neighbors. I think when I walk Tyson from now On Im going to wear a sign that says, "ignorant comments will cost you $5."

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[ think when I walk Tyson from now On Im going to wear a sign that says, "ignorant comments will cost you $5." ]

I love that and think it is a great idea.  My previous dog was a Pit and I had him for 15 wonderful years until he passed away.  Rascal was a very light fawn color with a balck mask and several people thought he was a boxer.  I could never understand that they could confuse the two breeds.  It did get me wondering about Boxers and that was how I got interested in them.

·
Registered
948 Posts
They're beautiful and they do look happy! What are you feeding them? Their coats are so shiney! You can really see Savannah's muscle tone too! How does the harness work with Reese? I'm planning on getting one for Mia...

Don't worry about the pitbull comment.. I get it all the time.. I just shrug it off.. Now when my boyfriend is there, he's a loose cannon when it comes to the "kids". He'll tell you how he feels.. Kinda makes me happy but I'm happy with the breed I own and I could care less how anyone felt about my "baby eater".. Oh I just love getting that comment from friends and family!  :roll:  And No.. I don't think boxers look like pitbulls at all either...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I dont understand how people confuse the two either. Boxers are generally taller but narrower whereas pits are generally shorter and broader. A pits face is distinctly different....especially the eyes. And no other breed....NONE....can come close to the famous Boxer smile.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I love the color of Savannah!! Shes soooo gorgeous and so is our Reese!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Rocky got called a pitt or ab.We actually had a pitt at work today so sweet.She was a big baby.Id have to admit I was more scared of the hissing cat than the big ole pitt.  :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts