Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are just about to buy a puppy to show but we are worried about his top lip being pink and wonderd if it is a fault or does it change colour over time?

Thxs

Attachments

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
No its not a fault, however the person you are buying your show pup should be the one to know that - do they currently show as well??

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
At three week IMO the pup is too young to be deemed a show puppy and most like it will fill in but not a guarantee yet.  I think as he gets older you will be able to know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We already have put a deposit on him already

Hes got great pedigree with lots of champs on it

Maybe its me being too fussy

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Well you have every right to be fussy!!!  ha ha ha I dont blame you esp if you have your heart set on a show puppy!  I would IMO expect nothing but the best!!!!     Sometimes many CH in a pedigree always dont make a dog show quality  :wink:    At three week, and without a stacked shot - its hard to tell.   However I hope he if you decide to get him - turns out to be the beauty you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Maple has that and she is almost 4 months and it's a bit faded but still kind of pink, on a side note if you want a show dog you might want to consider one with flash on the face, without flash I hear it's harder to win, but not impossible (we had a judge help us pick out a puppy so she told us a lot of this sort of info, Maple's brothers were intended to be show dogs the breeders had their ears cropped but they didn't do Maple's because she didn't have flash on the face)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Many of classics brindles and fawn have been doing well in the ring.     If you have a classic dog that better represents the standard than a competing flashy one, I would hope the judge will go with the classic.    :wink:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"86934 said:
Many of classics brindles and fawn have been doing well in the ring.     If you have a classic dog that better represents the standard than a competing flashy one, I would hope the judge will go with the classic.    :wink:
well that's nice to hear, do they allow floppy ears? then we might get Maple involved he he but I refuse to trim her ears they are too darn cute.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Having spent 6 hrs yesterday talking about all this, here's my take...Even tho you are sold a "show quality" pup, there are things that still need to happen before you know if your pup is show material...First is a good mentor, second is a great handler, they actually are good for doing evaluations on your pup...Then at home there is a lot of responsibility on your part, feeding, grooming, training, etc...Usually around 5 mos or so, you take your pup to the handler to see if he/she is ready, they will either say yes, right now, yes, but needs more work, or no, he doesn't have show potential...

Having said all that, you have a nice looking pup, time will tell whether that pink will become less noticeable or not...I love those plain brindles..Heather is right, after talking to Rhonda yesterday, she was saying the same thing, the plains are doing well, just takes longer to finish...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts