Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m am new to the forum and new to owning a Boxer. Our 5 mo male boxer, Rooster, is doing great within our household but we have one issue that perplexes us. We crate him at night as well as when no one is home with him. He is fully potty trained and can go all night (9pm-6a) without issue. But when we crate him while we leave for an hour or so, he seems to get to get pissed off and pees in his crate. When we come home, his belly/underside/collar are all wet. He seems to pee in the crate and then soaks it up with his body because we see no puddles in the crate (and we’ve removed his cushion). With Covid, it’s probably a case of him not being alone very often. Isn’t it unusual for a dog to pee where he sleeps and then to lay it? What suggestions can you all provide to get this behavior to stop?! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
621 Posts
He could be stressed when you leave him alone since he is not used to being alone now it seems when he is in the crate other times people are around. I don't think dogs pee because they are mad its reaction to stress. Do you take him out to pee before you leave for an hour or two? Most dogs will not pee where they lay so he must be really anxious. Is there something in your house that's scaring him in there? Noises or something another animal? It could just be separation anxiety.

·
Registered
44 Posts
when my 2 guys were young and they were crated, i never had an issue with them peeing in crate, so not sure how much i can help but there were some things i did that may or may not have helped them when crated for awhile...

definitely limited water an hour or so before i knew i was gonna crate them, and had them outside multiple times before leaving and having them go into crate. one thing i did was leave a radio on in the room... lower volume but enough to hear. not sure if the type of music matters but i chose easy listening music. i saved the AC/DC and Disturbed for when i was home :) again... have no idea if it really did anything, other than maybe mask or somewhat mute other noises from inside or outside house that could scare them or make them anxious.

another thing i did was cover most (NOT all) sides of the crate with a durable cover that they couldn't access to pull in and chew on. one side was fully open to make sure air circulation was not a problem... and that side was pointed towards a wall that was 10 ft away or so... so basically they didn't get stimulation from things they could see... like out a window, flashes of light or shadows, etc.

if i remember correctly way back then, i did read about some people using appropriate sized kongs filled with some type of treat. i think many actually made something up, stuffed the kong, and froze it to help it last a few more milliseconds. they said it kept them busy and probably keep the dog's mind off other things. i never tried it as my guys were pretty decent chewers and i just never felt comfortable leaving it in there although they never chewed up their kongs when not crated... was probably just me. so before trying, research the latest guidance on doing this... again my experience would have been 10-11 years ago. maybe others here on the forum have experience of doing that, and if it's a good or bad thing these days... and if a good idea, what to consider putting in kongs to keep em busy.

lastly, in the beginning of their crate training, i had a webcam available that recorded audio / video of them in crate. i had that setup and would scan thru the recorded video to check and see how they did while i was gone... if they just settled in and slept, if some sound or visual thing happened that made them get anxious, or were exhibiting some type of behavior, etc etc. these days there are lots of inexpensive options for that technology that are easy to setup... and some can let you access live audio/video from your smartphone in addition to recording it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Those are all really good ideas listed above a friend of mine would use the kong with some chunky peanut butter in it. Music does help too. We like metal too!!(lol) but my friend used just a soft pop music worked well for her anxiety.

·
Registered
44 Posts
for whatever reason, i have friends with boxers, and instead of radio they simply left the TV on. never made sense to me to burn more electricity and use TV to accomplish same thing as radio. and also for whatever reason i could never understand, the dog's favorite channel was HGTV

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Any update's here?? And yes, what you describe is unusual?? It's time to think "outside the Box, if you will (no pun intended.) To look for solution's. And if it is Separation Anxiety?? And most likely it is?? There is a course of action you can take. And I'll add it's nothing "obvious," ... unless your familiar with what I tend to do. :)

But in general as a "group?" We tend not to be most disciplined group of Working Dog Owner's out there?? There are a few of us that Crate our dog's, (uh not me) but there are enough that do, that would most likely say ... "you're doing nothing wrong." It's just that particular puppy. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He could be stressed when you leave him alone since he is not used to being alone now it seems when he is in the crate other times people are around. I don't think dogs pee because they are mad its reaction to stress. Do you take him out to pee before you leave for an hour or two? Most dogs will not pee where they lay so he must be really anxious. Is there something in your house that's scaring him in there? Noises or something another animal? It could just be separation anxiety.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we do take him out prior to leaving him and we’ve taken him on a walk to tire him out a bit. There are no other animals or noises here that would scare him. It probably is separation anxiety...I’m just not sure how to fix it. Appreciate your post.
when my 2 guys were young and they were crated, i never had an issue with them peeing in crate, so not sure how much i can help but there were some things i did that may or may not have helped them when crated for awhile...

definitely limited water an hour or so before i knew i was gonna crate them, and had them outside multiple times before leaving and having them go into crate. one thing i did was leave a radio on in the room... lower volume but enough to hear. not sure if the type of music matters but i chose easy listening music. i saved the AC/DC and Disturbed for when i was home :) again... have no idea if it really did anything, other than maybe mask or somewhat mute other noises from inside or outside house that could scare them or make them anxious.

another thing i did was cover most (NOT all) sides of the crate with a durable cover that they couldn't access to pull in and chew on. one side was fully open to make sure air circulation was not a problem... and that side was pointed towards a wall that was 10 ft away or so... so basically they didn't get stimulation from things they could see... like out a window, flashes of light or shadows, etc.

if i remember correctly way back then, i did read about some people using appropriate sized kongs filled with some type of treat. i think many actually made something up, stuffed the kong, and froze it to help it last a few more milliseconds. they said it kept them busy and probably keep the dog's mind off other things. i never tried it as my guys were pretty decent chewers and i just never felt comfortable leaving it in there although they never chewed up their kongs when not crated... was probably just me. so before trying, research the latest guidance on doing this... again my experience would have been 10-11 years ago. maybe others here on the forum have experience of doing that, and if it's a good or bad thing these days... and if a good idea, what to consider putting in kongs to keep em busy.

lastly, in the beginning of their crate training, i had a webcam available that recorded audio / video of them in crate. i had that setup and would scan thru the recorded video to check and see how they did while i was gone... if they just settled in and slept, if some sound or visual thing happened that made them get anxious, or were exhibiting some type of behavior, etc etc. these days there are lots of inexpensive options for that technology that are easy to setup... and some can let you access live audio/video from your smartphone in addition to recording it.
Thanks for the reply. We’ve tried music too. (We like our AC/DC as well, but my daughter insists the dog likes Garth Brooks radio). We bought a Kong this weekend and tried it. We set up an iPhone to video him and discovered the Kong kept him busy for about 4 minutes before he cleaned it out. Unfortunately the video stopped so we didn’t catch the rest. We did however come home to a wet dog and crate. It’s very aggravating! We ordered and just received a netvue Orb Cam and will give this a try to see what’s going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are all really good ideas listed above a friend of mine would use the kong with some chunky peanut butter in it. Music does help too. We like metal too!!(lol) but my friend used just a soft pop music worked well for her anxiety.
We bought the Kong and tried it with the Kong chew along with the Kong cheese spray and froze it. He blasted through that in no time! We will try the chunky peanut butter as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for whatever reason, i have friends with boxers, and instead of radio they simply left the TV on. never made sense to me to burn more electricity and use TV to accomplish same thing as radio. and also for whatever reason i could never understand, the dog's favorite channel was HGTV
We’re willing to try the tv for background noise!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any update's here?? And yes, what you describe is unusual?? It's time to think "outside the Box, if you will (no pun intended.) To look for solution's. And if it is Separation Anxiety?? And most likely it is?? There is a course of action you can take. And I'll add it's nothing "obvious," ... unless your familiar with what I tend to do. :)

But in general as a "group?" We tend not to be most disciplined group of Working Dog Owner's out there?? There are a few of us that Crate our dog's, (uh not me) but there are enough that do, that would most likely say ... "you're doing nothing wrong." It's just that particular puppy. :)
We left him twice over the weekend for about 1.5 hours each time and left him with a filled frozen Kong to keep him busy, but it didn’t take much time for him to plow through that and revert to his usual messy behavior. We have since purchased a video camera so we will now be able to see exactly what’s going on and we’ll be able to talk to him too. We’ll see what’s happening and try to figure out something from there?! Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
You may try taking some plain greek yogurt , crush some of his kibble and put that in the kong and freeze it. It will take a bit longer for him and may occupy him longer. Rule out any medical issue and crate him on and off while you are home. I'd also add a radio or tv background noise. I do the crate periodically throughout the day going in and out of the house so the the dog can never be sure if your actually leaving or not. Here is a link that may also be helpful to yo
The Mistakes Dog Owners Make About Separation Anxiety
Also when you crate him don't say goodbye or I'll be right back, just crate, when you let him out again no talk other than release him from his crate. For now I'd sort of limit his freedom so that he gets use to being in the crate while your walking around the house going in and out but in the beginning not long to where he gets overly anxious. Oh one more thing and yr probably doing it but before you leave him take him out to potty, then place him in his crate.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I hope that camera helps you figure out what's going on. And its good you can talk to him thru it as well maybe he won't be sure if he's alone then. I think it probably is a lot to do with separation anxiety.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Is your crate new, or was it used for another dog previously? I just wonder if it might be marking because there is a scent from another dog. Did your breeder start crate training before you got the puppy? Sometimes the breeder will separate the puppies into different crates, but keep the crates together so they get used to being alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts