Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good tips about okay biting? Loudly “yipping” and acting hurt makes him think we are playing and gets him more excited. Sour apple “no bite” worked for a day but still didn’t deter him from biting feet or hAnds, he seems to have a decent grasp on bite inhibition because he won’t bite hard anymore, but he still has his biting frenzy’s a couple times a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
Keep toys handy (it may take you a bit to remember to do this) and tell him no or no bite when he tries to get you, and give him the toy he can have, praise him for biting the toy and be consistent doing this.

If he's secure and can't get to you, you can also tell him no or no bite and then turn away from him and ignore him for a few seconds- even walk away if needed and come back after he's settled.

Consistency is key in training and you definitely want him to know now that biting hands or feet is not a game nor allowed. So many things may be cute when they are little, but they can lead to bad habits and incidents when they are older. You are doing the right thing addressing it now.

These are things that worked for us. I'm sure you'll get some input from others too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve only had him for 2 week but Iv been replacing my hand/foot with a toy and walking away when he nips. I understand it will take time with these methods and Iv been no nonsense with him when it comes to his play biting, I haven’t seen much of an improvement as if yet. I don’t expect it to happen overnight I just wanted to see if anyone had any success with a method I may not have heard about yet.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Yeah by and large that is fairly normally. You can do what you want of course but I have a pretty threshold for that kinda crap myself.

And I can pretty much guarantee if you you use your "Big Voice" once and say ... "NO BITE!!!He won't do it again. :)

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Anyone have any good tips about okay biting? Loudly “yipping” and acting hurt makes him think we are playing and gets him more excited. Sour apple “no bite” worked for a day but still didn’t deter him from biting feet or hAnds, he seems to have a decent grasp on bite inhibition because he won’t bite hard anymore, but he still has his biting frenzy’s a couple times a day.

Mine would do this when he got overly tired. First he would play and we would do the yelp and the stern NO BITE and we would give him toys but he would just act a bit crazy still. Not wanting to associate his crate with punishment when he got like this we we take a potty break then I'd bring him in and crate him. Every time he slept for about 2 hours. LOL We finally figured out he was over tired just like a toddler. Our boxer will turn 5 in September. He is the best dog we have ever owned. He never ever puts his mouth on a human even in play but he will lick you. LOL

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Unfortunately I think it just comes down to managing it the best you can.

Fortunately it usually only last about 6 months.

Not a fan of the yelping or ignoring. I found the yelping thing, at least with the pups I had, would make them come even harder. Kind of like how a dog will go harder at a toy that squeaks.

I used three different methods.
1st was a stern "No" followed by redirection with a toy. If the the pup took the toy, lots of praise.
2nd was turning it into a training session with treats/kibble. Redirect and train simple commands like, sit, stay, paw,etc. The easy stuff. Bad thing is training sessions at that age shouldn't really go anywhere past 10-15 minutes.
3rd if none of the above worked, the pup got leashed and lost freedom and if was still not listening or trying to bite the leash he got crated.

All pups are different and will react differently to different methods. I would just try different things and see what works best for you.:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts