Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so we finally scheduled a play  date for our girl.  Gabi will be 16 weeks tomorrow and her play buddy is a bassett hound who is younger then her by one day. My wife and I are first time dog (boxer) owners. The two dogs seemed to get rough with one another at times. I'm glad the bassett had lots of extra skin! I cought Gabi grabing the other pups neck a couple times and shaking her head back and forth like she does with her toys. I separated them when I saw her doing that. She would also try to box him and sometimes get her nails in his eyes. I'm not sure if it was as bad as it looked. Whenever the other dog would sqeel, she got off him and let him up again before she tackled hime again. She wasn't really growling at the other puppy when biting and when we'd retrain them and get them close enough to touch, Gabi would give him kisses. Rosco, didn't seem to mind her roughness either as he would look for her and  taunt her. It was fun to watch her pounce on him. He would imediately give her his belly and she would bite his tail. They played for a solid two hours. Could anyone advise what is too much? Rosco is a barker and I think Gabi finally caught on as she was barking at him pretty good by the end of the session.  By the way, I posted pics of their playtime in the photo album.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Cute pictures..Looks like both Gabi & Roscoe had a great time..That's a sure fire way to tire a puppy out. As far as if that was too long? The dogs will let you know that. Usually my Tia was the instigator of playtime, she would goad Buck into playing & when he had enuf, he would either walk away or growl at her...It'a always good to supervise tho, just in case things get out of hand. If one keeps trying to walk away, maybe to find a place to lay down, then I would say that playtime is over..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's good to know. I think Rosco must have had enough after about the first hour then. He was barking at the end trying to walk away for a while. I guess I thought he kept enticing her to play some more. It's was funny, once we got home Gabi could harldy put one leg in front of the other. Our friend told us he was hoping that Rosco would be asleep but he kept following him around like he wanted to play some more. I tell you what, that bassett hound for being a lw energy dog had some endurance. Should I worry that Gabi was going for his neck. I know I should separate them but is that a sign of aggression?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's the hunt instinct in them & boxers were originally bred as bull baiters..When mine used to play they used to nip at each others necks a lot..And the ears, the legs, whatever they could get to...Lol. I never stepped in unless it was getting way too heated (it does happen), but I think that was maybe just a couple times...Ever tried to stick your hand in between 2 snarling growling boxers? Not a scratch on me, but they were my dogs & trusted me...I would never try that if they weren't...

I wouldn't be overly concerned( someone jump in on this if I'm wrong), you should be able to tell if either is getting overly aggresive. The tone changes amongst other things...

Sounds to me that it was just a great time & yea, I'm surprised that Roscoe wasn't done..Didn't think Bassetts had that much energy....You might also want to start taking Gabi on some walks, tire that girl out some...A tired boxer is a happy boxer  :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi play date east liverpool,oh
  Hi I live in the near east jiverpool {wellsville} and would like to start a play date for my female boxer HOLLY. Maybe even maybe start having boxer bashes. I live around 1 hr from clev. and piitsburgh.
                 Thabks randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts