Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the boxer world. I adopted Buddy about 1.5 months ago (most of which was spent on "limited mobility" due to tumor removal surgery). Buddy's now doing great and has a lot more energy, and I'm at a loss for things that he can play with. The issue is I work at home a lot, and Buddy always wants to play. Fetch with anything soft and squeaky is his game, but its not so cute when I absolutely need to get work done and mostly-slobbered toys end up in my lap or thrown up on the keyboard. He won't play with them by himself, or with anything I give him. He also won't tolerate being in the yard by himself. He loves being out and failing to catch squirrels, but the minute I go inside he's barking/whining at the door (and he doesn't stop, no matter how long I ignore him). Since he doesn't chew the Kong, only kicks it around, the game lasts 10 min, tops. I'm wondering if there's anything I can buy or make to keep him amused on his own. Right now, he just waits for me to play with him or sleeps under my chair. I want him to be happy and mentally stimulated, I just don't know how! Any advice on some awesome toys woud be great. Also, FYI, Buddy's 4 yrs old and has had a hard life. He's not allowed to chew on anything hard (and won't) due to the fact he's already worn down/cracked his teeth to the gums.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Have you tried putting something in the kong for him?  Fiona will not play with hers if it is empty, but when I stuff it she will sit and play with it by herself for hours

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I work from home too, I know what this is like!  Oggie has a million toys and uses them all.....as long as I participate.  If I don't, he eventually gives up and curls up on the couch.  He has just learned that when I'm working he has to chill.  Of course that doesn't stop him from trying every 20 minutes, but its a process.  The only thing that ever occupies him is bully sticks, they aren't as hard as rawhide but they may be too hard for your dog's situation.  Peanut butter in a kong might do the trick, Oggie has never really taken to the kongs very much.  I'm seriously thinking the only other thing you can get to keep them really occupied is another dog!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You can place treats in that ball like Oggie has, Heather suggested that one :) Also check out various websites for interactive toys, makes them think

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I think the Kong filled with Peanut butter is a great idea and as Sully suggested another dog.  Now that I have Keegan, Kiah drops the toys in front of him  :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stuffing the Kong does seem to keep him occupied - there's an linear relationship between time I spend stuffing the treats inside the Kong really well so they don't fall out easy, and how long it takes him to get them out. I'll try the peanut butter, but does anyone know if its ok for dogs with sensitive stomachs? His foster mom had told me that people food makes him sick...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I know I can't give mine Peanut Butter. Not even the Peanut Butter flavored stuff they make for the kongs. It gives her the runs almost right away. So we stay away from it. I am beginning to think she has a sensitve stomach.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'd get nothing done if I worked from home!!  It's bad enough I never get any housework done!!

If you go onto PetSmart there are a few interactive toys, such as:

Tricky Treats Ball
Bustercube Treat Dispenser
Plush Hide a Toy

And Kong has a few: Kong Jump N Jakc or the Kong Stuff a Ball (which I have for Lola, usually fill it with Zukes Treats or Cheerios....then they have to roll it around to get the treats out)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'll try the peanut butter, but does anyone know if its ok for dogs with sensitive stomachs?
I think it all depends on the sensitivity.  Ringer can't go any where near beef but I use peanut butter daily with him and he is fine.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Here's some other tasty treats you can use in your Kong as well

KONG FILLINGS

Cheerios and peanut butter

Chunks of Apple and peanut butter

Cooked macaroni and melted (not runny) velveeta cheese

Bananas and unsweetened applesauce - freeze

Cream cheese, peanut butter, and applesauce - freeze

Applesauce with chunks of fruit - freeze

Bananas, cooked oatmeal, applesauce, and yogurt - freeze

·
Registered
50 Posts
A Wiggly Giggly Ball works really good. You can find them at most pet stores, in 2 different sizes. It makes crazy noises but is not electronic so no batteries needed. I know Bosco LOVES it and it keeps him entertained for a while.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Cassius is somewhat similar and the only toy we got that he'll play with on his own is the Jolly Ball.  We have the one with the rope through the center but you have to be careful inside because Jolly Ball can become Wrecking Ball....
Jolly Ball

1 - 12 of 12 Posts