Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play fight with my 7 month old male boxer quite often.. but often think.. is this a good idea?? am I encouraging bad behaviour.  Logically.. I figure he'd being doing this in nature with his siblings.

When we play fight.. I wrestle him down... and he'll be growling at me and biting (playfully) at my hands.  If I let him have my hand/arm, he won't apply pressure.  If he ever does bite or nip too hard.. I'll usually yelp like a puppy would, or give him a firm NO!.. and then ignore him for a short period of time (and this doesn't happen very often)  At any point in time while play fighting, I can get him to sit and "be nice".. and then he'll stop and just lick my hand, if I give it to him..

Anyway.. I'd just like to hear some others opinions on this.  cheers!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sounds to me like you've got it under control! :) My hubby plays with the boys like that and they LOVE it...and they are very careful and responsive if he is ready to be done...I think as long as you two are having fun and you are ALWAYS in control like that...there is no problem! JMHO

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
As long as you are the one in control & your pup knows when to back off or stop, I really don't see any problems...My ex used to play like that with Buck & Tia, it sounded like they were killing each other, but never drew blood or had anything happen....I could call them while they were going at it and they both would come running to me and give me kisses, no problem...Marq plays like that with Angel, but not Samson, as he has "issues" and really never learned how to play....It's good exerise and a great way to bond as well....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts