Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my wife and I got a 30 week old boxer puppy this weekend. She clearly has not been around people and barked at us and backed away from us when we went to go get her. She has warmed up to my wife and I but is scared of new people. She had a bad habit of chasing our kids and barking at them constantly (when playing outside) like they are dogs. How do we stop her from doing this? She does not know her name yet. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Whoa, unsocialized dog and running kids so not a good situation! The reason the dog has warmed up to your wife is she is a quiet factor in this picture. This whole thing needs to be dialed way back. I’m not sure the circumstances this dog cones from is this unsocialization or temperament issue or both? A good start would be quiet time with everyone involved, don’t allow the children running screaming around the dog until the dogs gets time to acclimate to the new noise and activity levels and gets a chance to know everyone. Likely the dog is overwhelmed. When the kids are out playing keep the dog separate or when an adult is available leashed and let it observe what’s going on and become desensitized don’t allow chasing and barking and I would strongly advise dog training classes. This can work but it’s going to take some time and training before someone gets hurt.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Dogs that have not been properly socialized take time, lots of time and training. I for one would not have her off leash running with my children until she has learned her place in the family. Some in home quite time with the children would help, they can teach her sit, down, shake and treat her. Only teach one thing at a time. Sit to be fed for instance. Have adult present, prepare dogs meal hand it to child, child says sit, /stay..when dog does put down food and release.. Little things like that will help. Some dog training classes for all of you too. 7 and a half month old is a pretty well grown boxer, so she is big and needs to have boundaries. Good luck. I'm sure it will be fine just take time and patience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts