Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Sometimes my little Princess comes and starts bumping me and pawing me... and if I don't respond she starts bouncing around, barking, and growling!!! Then is I stand up to catch her she does a runner, before coming back and launching herself into me (still barking and growling)

Now the funny thing. Even though she is going crazy - if I give her a command she will instantly stop and carry out the command.

Is she being aggressive or dominant? Or is this just her wanting attention and being playful?

The other funny thing is she only does this with me and nobody else in our house.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
She is playing, you are her human and her playmate as far as she is concerned you probably spend more time outdoors and indoors training and running and doing things so she considers you like a packmate but I think she knows you are the dominate one because she stops when you tell her too. I play with my dogs like this all the time I am always playing dog games with them its just a way for her to say I need attention! She does not mean anything aggressive by it at all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is playing, you are her human and her playmate as far as she is concerned you probably spend more time outdoors and indoors training and running and doing things so she considers you like a packmate but I think she knows you are the dominate one because she stops when you tell her too. I play with my dogs like this all the time I am always playing dog games with them its just a way for her to say I need attention! She does not mean anything aggressive by it at all.
Thanks, and yes you're right I spend most my time with her as can work from home. We are together literally all the time.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just playing and wants attention. I work from home also and it was cute when my guy was 20-30 lbs. Got old real quick after that. lol.

I just set boundaries, so he knew that wasn't acceptable, if I was working on the computer or on the phone. He picked up pretty quick. Once he realized the routine he was fine. Now if i'm caught up at work and we are late for his bike ride or going to the beach at lunch he will just sit about a foot away from me and stare at me till we go. lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just playing and wants attention. I work from home also and it was cute when my guy was 20-30 lbs. Got old real quick after that. lol.

I just set boundaries, so he knew that wasn't acceptable, if I was working on the computer or on the phone. He picked up pretty quick. Once he realized the routine he was fine. Now if i'm caught up at work and we are late for his bike ride or going to the beach at lunch he will just sit about a foot away from me and stare at me till we go. lol
Hahahahaaaaaaa - love it.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Well as the others have said ... this is pretty much "par for the course," with a well adjusted dog. :)
As long as you can turn her "off and on," you don't have an issue. :)

In the house ... I don't really care for the "Crazy!" Indoor's I just as soon Bella .(my dog's) ,.. entertain themself inside. And for the most part they/she does.She has tons of toys and stuff and most of them are destroyed but she still plays with them. And sure she shoves them at me (free roaming dog) and I may or may not pay some attention`to her ... take them and drop them.

But after a few attempts ... well dad is boring! Soooo on to MOM! And sure enough ... she gets active engagement and the ball gets thrown ... sigh. I grit my teeth cuz I understand ... that there is simply ... "no way," that there is any chance at all ... that she is gonna get bored and quit??

So I grit my teeth and wait and soon enough Marilyn will yep when she gets nipped by accident in the crazy ... I told her ... don't throw the freaking ball in the house ... but she does! And So yet again ... I'm the Bad Guy?? So I say ... Bella ... "Place!" And that puts an end to the madness. :)

But yeah, what you describe is pretty much normal. If you truly have a dog that has an issue with its owner?? You will KNOW! I have not had that particular issue myself?? But I have heard from ton's of folk's that have, And yeap but of course ... all on the Germanshepardforum, just saying. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
When my older boxer Max was young, he used to do something similar. He would bark and whine and growl and vocalize (kind of a whine-howl). If he didn’t get any attention then, he would put his muzzle on my knee and stare at me. He’d also paw my foot. He didn’t want to eat, didn’t want to walk—he wanted to play.
I would end up wrestling him down on his side. Pretty tiring, and sometimes irritating. But he’s so cute I just gave in.

Nowadays, he’s happy to go for a walk and smell and mark territory... phew.

I do miss the good ol days, and I’m happy he was such a silly doggie. But I’m glad he isn’t still like that... :)

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
LOL yeah it's pretty much a simple case of "they all do that!" I won't give in to it myself ... sigh but my wife does ... and from there it's the old here we go again, ... sigh. But when Bella finally nip's the crap out of her ... I say "Place" and that's the end of that crap!

I gotta train a dog and a wife ... and the dog is easier. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I grit my teeth and wait and soon enough Marilyn will yep when she gets nipped by accident in the crazy ... I told her ... don't throw the freaking ball in the house ... but she does!

/QUOTE]

Hahaha - this is so funny!

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
LOL, well it's true but to be fair. I do more stuff with Bella than my wife does. I train her and take her on outings and stuff. And since I went form Boxer's and sigh ,,, now back to Boxer/Pit's again after about 12 years??

I have a better feel for the differences??? And by large all the Boxer's good attributes are all there! But ... the down side?? Is that they all seem to be more intense! If you can imagine that??? A well adjusted Boxer tends to like people. But Bella double downs on that and sigh on a couple occasions she got away from me and she greets people with uh "Gusto!!"

She has slipped away from me everything "twice" and everything's just been "more!" And how she has not scared the living crap out of a few people??? Once or twice (I use a Martingale now) i don't know??? And she freaking charges people!!??? And they just laugh and greet her happily ( I tend to freak cuz, I have GSD flash back's!)

But you know ... not the same?? So stranger's seem to see, something different then I do?? But she is just "more," intense then my Struddell was by far??? Everything needs to done right now and as fast as possible?? I let her outside in the yard on some day's and she just flies across the yard all by herself just ripping around the yard! Sheer insane speed for the sake of moving fast!

And on outings in the desert?? She is constantly searching for everyplace a Rattlesnake, would most likely be! So Rattlesnake Avoid class is on the schedule this year!

But Boxer/Pit mix if you had a Boxer before you can deal with it??? Your just gonna be a bit confused at first?? Cuz it's just a whole nother level of uh ... crazy??? If in greeting someone you mess up and they get loose ... they don't walk up to strangers ... they charge them!!! And for me coming from a "Human Aggression WL GSD!" Well you can imagine my level of stress??? But the Boxer thing ... Dad is just being a tool and I want to meet this stranger "Now!"

And I can't see it but strange's seem to just laugh and Bella sits and waits for attention??? It's happened twice to me. And I have been stunned both time's. Cuz she goes at stranger's hard and fast and then sit's! And they tend to just giggle and laugh??

Boxer/Pit's are not as bad as Mal's I don't think?? Cuz Boxer/Pitt's don't seem to want to bite?? AKA Malagator's ... but they do seem to have an increased level of "intensity!!" Frankly ... I'd not recommend such a mix, to most people?? But you know lot's of them out there. But if you had Boxer's before?? You'd recognize them as ... same old, same old ...just a bit more of it??? :)

Ah well .once I get my crap together, ,.. I will eventually get her a Boxer Buddy and sigh most likely a male ( that tick's me off!) But at this point I am a long way off from "Having One Well Trained Dog" ... before adding a second dog!" Sigh ... I have been doing "this," stuff, long enough to know that I tend to give "good advise," but I have problems following it??

Cuz I really, really want another girl Boxer! But ... I have already set up Bella with all the things that I would say not to do!! She free roams in the home (although she tends to stay in the living room with me inside,) She gets on the furniture and she sleeps with me or (Marilyn) in the bed, all of those are big "NO's!"And I have de-Crate trained her. So yeah ....

But at anyrate and back on point , it's safe to say "they all do that." But as long as you can turn the "crazy off" with a Command ... you don't have an issue. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts