Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - newbie here!

My family has always had dogs, so I've been exposed to dogs all my life and have brought up a few puppies as well, so I'm not completely ignorant with dogs...

I'm new here and I generally don't post on message boards, but wanted to ask this question:

I like to play with dogs while wearing leather gloves. All the dogs I've every had loved it. As soon as they see the gloves they go crazy. We can play rough, they can grab ahold of my hands with hurting me, and it's generally great play from what I can see.

My girlfriend has a boxer puppy and he's just about 6 months old. I bought a pair of leather gloves for him and we played for a couple of hours througout the day yesterday. He loved it, I loved it. It's so much fun. But since it's not my dog, I have to ask if this type of play will cause any problems. I was always careful to train my dogs to only be that rough WITH the gloves and not bare hands, but being MY dogs I didn't really care if they slipped since I was promoting the behaviour and it was my problem. Being the girlfriends dog, I guess I want to be be more careful with how the dog is trained. I don't let the glove play turn into wild aggression, but it does get a little crazier than it would without gloves. lol.

I'd love to hear any positive thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! I've always rough-housed" with my dogs and yet they were still super sweet to others. They were also much smaller dogs though... and looked like less of a threat. My husband and I rough-house with Odin... and I know I've read you aren't suppose to do that because you just want them to be sweet. A puppy loves that kind of play though. I don't do the leather gloves thing though. I think it's more up to what your girlfriend thinks. Hope that helped some, if not I'm sure you'll get more replies here soon. Good Luck... and welcome!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Mastray!

I defiantly want this dog to remain sweet, and I've never used rough play to "create" an aggressive dog. Like you said, puppies do love it, but I don't want anyone to think I'm treating the dog badly or trying to create a mean and aggressive dog. Just thought I would make that clear before anymore replies. :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First off I have to say welcome & hope you stick around and get your g/f involved in our site..There is a lot of very good info on here and we all are very passionate about our babies....
I have to say I don't think there is anything wrong in rough play, gloves or no, and that's a good idea actually...My ex used to play very rough with Buck & Tia and they loved it, but also knew when to stop..That's the key..All we had to say was "ok guys, that's enuf" and they would stop. I could then call them and both would be all over me with slobbering kisses...It;s all in the training...
Would love to see pictures of your g/f's boxer by the way....Thanks for popping in and hope you decided to stay.. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
welcome. my puppy boxer loves to play rough too.....she is only 16 weeks old,,,she is the joy of my life.. i also own 2 adult boers, they played roughj too, but they are gentle, they will lick you to deATH.LOL...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!

Glad to hear that I won't cause any problems being rough. He really loves it. I'll definatly stick around for awhile. Everything I'm into has an appropriate message board that I hang around, and this seesm like the place for boxers! I'll try to get the GF involved as well.

:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts