Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old puppy which is very spoilt, during weekends my friends visit me and bring their dogs over, Saigey goes crazy playing and I can see he is very happy with company they do not rest for a minute running all over the house but my friend's puppy is very selfish and aggressive every time he has a toy and Saigey wants to play with him he bites him my baby just sits there and let him bite him, he is so innocent I have to keep an eye on them all the time.

I work from 9am till 4pm Monday to Friday and although Saigey has lots to do while he is at home alone I still think he

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
Glad you asked this question about a second dog because i'm also interested if anyone would like to answer.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have always had a pair of boxers.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I picked out a brother for Tink yesterday, who I'll be picking up in two weeks, and I have to say I am very excited and a little nervous about introducing them!  Tink is only 11 months old so she's very much in the puppy stage herself still!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you have the space and can afford it, I think boxers are much better off in pairs...They love company and it can keep them from getting bored and possibly destructive. Introducing a second boxer I think , like Nano said we've discussed in a couple other threads, but basically keep close supervision at all times at first until both dogs are better aquainted. Know who the Alpha is also, i have a very Alpha male, so we wanted to make sure tht we didn't bring in an Alpha Female...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think pairs are great with Boxers. I recently moved out of "home", got married, and had to leave my Boy at home because that is where he was raised, and he has many companions there. I tried taking him to my new house, but he was very lonely and depressed. He currently has another female Boxer at home, and a male Lab.

We had 5 Boxers, and the lab at one time about 2 years ago. I must say that they were so much fun to have all together. However, I did notice some fighting between the males when the females were around. Three males and 3 females, there was always some challenge for alpha dog. Nothing too serious, just challenges. We just needed to be there to correct their behavior, to ensure they knew who was in charge and what was right and wrong.

I hope you do get another pup, they are so much fun to have 2 together. I am bring our new pup home this Friday! Hope some of my jabble has helped...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Maggie used to let Jessie bite her all the time when she was a very young pup, like 4 mos and younger... I think the older dogs will reach a point where they start to teach the puppy that its not ok...

·
Registered
616 Posts
JessiesMom\";p=\"4427 said:
I think the older dogs will reach a point where they start to teach the puppy that its not ok...
I agree totally...Scout used to let Gunner get away with murder.  Gunner used to bite Scout's chest so much it was red all the time.  Once Gunner got to a certain age, Scout started to put him in his place.  He actually taught him to play nice.  They now make terrible faces at each other but mean nothing by it.  I would never dream of having one boxer ever again.  Two are so much fun and not much extra work.  I also believe that they keep each other company but can also play tag-team when getting into trouble.

Good luck on your decisions.  Keep us posted!

·
Registered
491 Posts
My Gunnar lets Ginger have her way with him.  She's 4 mos. old now, and crawls all over him, barking, jumping around, just making a pest of herself.  He tolerates her very well, too well I think sometimes.  I have to get her to leave him alone.  But they have adjusted to each other very well thank goodness.  Now I can not imagine not having them both here.  They wear each other out, constantly running and chasing each other.  They are a hoot to watch!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help it makes sense having company,

I am also worried about the new female when she'll be on heat will I have to separate them for a whole month during her time? wanting puppies or not...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You could use the female pants (bloomers) for this time and just monitor them when they are together.  It is a real chore, but I got a pair thru it once. I think I used some sort of a spray to on the pants to help mask the smell for the male. You will need to keep them separated anytime you're not watching them though. I used a kennel (crate) for this as I do when my dogs are pups anyway.

Nano

·
Registered
905 Posts
Or you could just get her spayed before her first heat.  A bitch that is spayed before her first oestrus has a 0.5% chance of getting mammary cancer, after the first heat period it's 8% and a bitch spayed after a second or subsequent oestrus has a whopping 26% risk of getting mammary cancer.  This alone is reason enough for any owner to spay a bitch they don't intend to breed!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Not to mention the phantom pregnancy risk! My brother-in-laws boxer had one at 1year-ish. She adopted a stuffed dinosaur as her own and wouldn't go on walks for fear of leaving it. Took it everywhere with her - how we laughed! They got her spayed after that because she was also showing the physical symptoms. She's been fine since then - just a bit of weight gain.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I think I should get a puppy than when she is due i'll see how it goes. She'll be an adult when she is over 1 year anyway. Thanks for your support and advice. I should get him a nice girlfriend :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts