Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've seen a couple people on this site talk about a potty bell their pups ring when they need to potty? Could you guys please explain this process, and teaching them the bell? What type of bell is it (as in the type of bell that would be on a customer service counter-- they would step on it to ring it... or something else?)

Tucker is potty training great so far, but he does not let me know when he needs to go out. He wont go in the house, however, he was just squatting down and peeing just a bit before I would snatch him up and run him outside. Now he doesn't do that, its almost like he just waits until I say lets go potty. I don't want him just holding it until I say lets go potty, I want him to let me know when he does need to go. He wont whine, bark, he wont even go over to the door and paw at it. The most I might get is a look at the front door, which is fine because he is always in my sight. But I wouldn't mind if he could let me know when he has to potty, rather than holding it until I say "lets go potty."

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: Enlighten me... potty bell?

I could use help with this too. Fredo is 6 months, never goes in the house, but he will wait for me to ask him if he needs to go. Sometimes when he needs to go he'll follow me around and whine but he does that regardless so I don't know what to do. We always go out the same door so I know that's not confusing him.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Re: Enlighten me... potty bell?

I think the idea is to hang a bell by the door, and everytime you take him out, you ring the bell.  Some people even take his paw and ring the bell for him.  Eventually the idea is they associate the bell with going potty, and will ring it on their own when they need to go.

Personally I'd prefer for my dog to bark to let me know, so I'm holding off on the bell for now.  I do hang a leash by the door and he goes over to it and paws at it if he needs to go out so I think the barking will come soon, I hope.  But I think the bell thing is a good idea especially if they aren't showing any signs when they need to go out.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i bell trained Chance....i am so glad i did. I went to a local craft store and actually got a cow bell so that i was sure to hear it. Hung it on the back door and everytime i went to take him out i would take his paw and ring the bell and tell him potty. He caught on within a week and now goes to the back door when he has to go potty and rings the bell himself. Some dogs will use the bell just to go out and play but Chance uses it only for potty. Good luck!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys :)

do you think him not having a bell at the barn will confuse him?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TamiNChance\";p=\"55637 said:
at the barn??? Sorry i havent been on for quite some time i think i am missing something
Oh sorry he goes out to my horse farm with my trainer 5 days a week when I'm at school/work. He is crate trained, I just dont want him in his crate all day long. Esp mondays when im out of the house from 2 until 9pm. I just think crate training would completely backfire, and go down the tubes. Plus I just think pups and dogs need time to run, and a farm is the perfect place to do it. :)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I tired to bell train Kash, until he realized its much easeir to open the door and go downstairs himself.   :lol:

it can be effective if you do it and commit to it.   Many dogs have gone great on it - good luck!!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I was wanting to do this with Odin... just haven't gotten around to it. He does great now though... goes to the door... wonders around and finds us and lets us know he has to go.... he came a long way from the puppy that just pee'd where ever or the puppy that would just sit at the door where no one could see him. From what I've heard on here... a lot of the boxers on here do great with it!!

G

·
0 Posts
we got a string of christmas bells and took jetta's foot and made her ring the bell..she picked it up in 2 days and rings only to go potty....its wonderful....bo won't ask...but jetta goes often enough that we haven't had problems with bo...i don't think not having it at the farm will confuse him..he will associate bell with home...it doesn't confuse jetta not having it at my moms house

1 - 11 of 11 Posts