Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 year old boxer, Tyson.  We always block him off in the hallway with a gate at night.  He's been living with my parents for the past 2 months because we are temporarily living in a condo that does not allow pets.  He is a house dog and my parents have been putting a gate up at the laundry room at night.  He has done fine up until a few nights ago.  They got up and he was sleeping, laying in his water that he turned over and the food bowl was knocked over as well.  Since that night he FREAKS out every night as soon as the gate goes up.  He barks, howls, cries, jumps on the gate...all night long.  They can't sleep, he wears himself out, he stops long enough to pant like crazy and goes at it again.  

I got him as a puppy right out of high school.  So he originally lived with my parents (and me).  They dogsit whenever we go somewhere...he loves them, he's comfortable with them...so it's not an issue of separation anxiety or anything like that.  I don't understand why he was fine every night for 2 months and now out of the blue he's acting crazy!!  Has anyone experienced this??  Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Re: Please help! 12 year old boxer is freaking out at night

it could still be separation anxiety! If he was used to living with you and he has been there without you for over 2 months maybe he is having a hard time dealing with the change. Even though your parents pet sit, if it hasnt been for this long of a period of time he may be missing you and acting out. Just a thought

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

First off, I have to say how blessed you are having your boxer living to the ripe old age of 12. My Samson is about 10 1/2...I agree with Tami, it still sounds like separation anxiety to me...He is very used to you being there and now you aren't, plus his age may come into play as well...Is it possible not to have him gated off? Is he destructive if left to roam? Just wondering if there might be another alternative to make it easier on everyone, losing sleep nite after nite is not good, for anyone and regardless of the fact that Tyson knows your parents, it isnt the same. Also it's possible something may have scared him one nite to make the change in behavior..

·
Registered
78 Posts

If he's been staying with them for 2 months and only now has started to "freak out" as you say then I think something may have spooked him while he was in the laundry room and now doesn't want to be there.

Something in his environment changed that has made him uncomfortable.  Perhaps if he was able to sleep near your parents in the safety of a crate he'd act okay.  Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

I don't have an answer for you, but just want to welcome you here and hope you keep us posted.  What was said above makes sense to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks everyone.  I do know we are blessed that he has lived this long and is still pretty healthy.  I don't think it's separation anxiety because he only freaks now when the gate goes up.  I was thinking maybe something scared him...I even wondered if he may have possibly had a siezure (he's never had one before) due to him being asleep in a puddle of water and every since he has been acting this way.  They can't leave the gate down because he gets on the furniture.  My mom is going to try blocking him in the foyer tonight and sleeping in the front bedroom (she'll be blocked in the area with him) and see if he calms down.  

I honestly think he's happier and more comfortable living with my parents.  We had a baby 2 years ago and he's been a little depressed that he's not the "baby" anymore.  Also our son chases him all over the house and won't let him rest, so he seems really content living with my parents and having us come over for visits.  My mom also thinks maybe he realizes now that their home is his home and he's not just visiting, so he's more comfortable to act out and make demands!  :)  I just don't think the separation anxiety would all of a sudden kick in 2 months later and only happen if the gate goes up.  He sleeps in the laundry room during the day (no gate)...their house is an open floor plan so the kitchen, living room, dining room and laundry room is all together, so he's not off to himself.  I feel so bad for my parents!  We have our house for sale and are living in my MIL's condo for a bit and they have a strict no pet policy.  :(

Attachments

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Oh what a sweetheart he is! He looks awesome for 12, I have to tell you...Hopefully your parents new plan will work and glad they are willing to care for him right now...Bless them and give that lovely boy a big hug for me. I just love these distuinguished seniors....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks so much!  He has been a really good dog, so we've been surprised by his behavior lately.  My mom put him in the foyer last night and slept in the front bedroom and he was fine.  Apparently he wants to be with them at night, so I guess she'll sleep in that room as long as he continues to behave!  He's such a gentle dog and extremely tolerant with children.  He's a gentle giant.  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

I am soo glad to hear that it worked out..Your parents are wonderful for taking the time and thought to work with Tyson...Hoping you can get into your own place real soon....And feel free to post regular updates on that handsome guy....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts