Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 boxers...joey(female) who is 3 1/2 and casey (male) who just turned 3.  Joey is hyper and a little bit nervous where as casey is calm.  I have a 21 mo. old son and a baby on the way.  when my son was born we paid a professional dog trainer to train the dogs so that they would listen and it worked pretty well.  soon after we noticed joey the female becoming a little aggressive toward strangers.  She would lunge at strangers who wanted to pet her, nip at the vet and the people at the kennel she'd be staying at, even bit her groomer that she regularly goes to.  These events are odd; we have never had a problem at home at all.  She is the most loving, cuddly dog who always wants to lay with someone or cuddle up to her brother casey.  

I tell you all of this bc today she got up to the table when i walked away and started eating my dinner.  I caught her in the act, and because my son was watching i made her get down on the ground (pushed her with my knee, not too hard, just so she was laying) and i scolded her.  When the dogs are bad my son and i point with our index finger and say "bad bad doggie".  Since he was watching that is what i did. (i otherwise might have tapped her with my hand in her nose, but i don't want my son to think i "hit" the dog and its ok for him to do it) As i was scolding her, she got a crazy look in her eyes and bit my finger pretty hard...the absolute first time she's ever shown agression toward me.  then, i grabbed her neck and put her head on the ground (like our trainer taught me) and she jumped up and tried to bite my face! I was furious, called my husband in as i took my son out of the room, and my husband tried to get her downstairs to her crate but she was trying to bite him as well!

After hours in her crate, we brought her back up and she is loving and fine again.  However what if she does this to my children? She has always been a little off, but i don't think i can trust her around my children without supervision and i don't know how i will be able to watch 2 kids with 2 dogs at all times.  My boxers have a very great life with me being home all day.  THey go to the field and run almost everyday and really do have the life of luxury.  I don't know what could be causing this aggression but i do know it is getting worse.  Should i get rid of her, even though she is afraid of strangers? or should i (gasp) put her down? Or does she deserve another chance? I love her to death but this is the first time I have ever been scared of her.  Please help! Thanks!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Re: please help...i think i have to get rid of my boxer! (lo

Ok not sure I can answer all of your questions or even touch on them but I am going to take a crack at it. First off, I would not be even contimplating (sp?) anything other then getting to the reasoning of the incident.  Is there something else going on health wise, for example; my female became aggressive when she had a UTI, I knew something was off.  So I think that if it was me I would venture that way before anything else.  Next I assume she has not ever gotten up and eaten off your plate before?  So I would ask do you feed your boxers seperately?  If not is it a possibility that your other is eating her food as well and she is hungry?  (Just thinking this might be an issue, I may way off base, but worth a shot)  I know there are some others in here that have a ton more experience with some of these behaviors so they may chime in.  
Please do not take offense to this, but NEVER use the crate as a punishment.  If you need to punish her use the time out, put her on a leash and tie her off somewhere where she is secluded from the rest of the family, boxers hate that. I also would look at a behaviorist rather then a trainer, I know Nano has helped me with that as well.  I hope I helped a little, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

Agree with Chaos, a crate should never be used as a means of punishment. :|

I can tell that you love your dogs by the way that you have previuosly tried to correct behavioural issues and it must be a worrying time for you with a baby and one on the way. :D

Maybe try and crate the dogs at your dinner time, untill you have finished eating or put them in the yard.
Get her a check up at your vets, a simple blood test might show up something.

Personally, i think that no matter how good a dog is, it should never be left alone with a baby or very young child, Dogs react differently to crys and squeals of babys.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

A behaviorist would be in order and a check at the vet's.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

This must be so hard.  I was reading that even the best behaviorists sometimes have to relocate one of their dogs.  The personality, genetic problems in dealing with stress, and family dynamics don't always go together.  A Boxer Rescue could help you sort this out if it's not a health problem.  You sound like you have such a loving home, and it is hard on the owners to have to make that decision.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Andrea, one of our Moderators had something similiar happen a couple days ago, so i am sure she can relate to this...I definitely would have your vet check her thyroid, hypothyroidism is common in Boxers and can cause beheavior changes...I agree with Nan tho about consulting with a behaviorist as well, it could be a two-fold problem, but when a dog already has some issues using a "pin down" really isn't the best approach...As far as re-homing her, of course that has to be your decision, but please if you do, try and find a Boxer Rescue close that can take her in rather than sending her to a shelter....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Is the dog a rescue?  Is there a history of abuse or neglect?  Any past traumatic events?  What is the family/parents history?  Those would be my first questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts