Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please help me identify this dog's breed.  My guess is that she could be a pit bull and english pointer mix.  Someone I knew had this puppy and kept her in a crate all day long, only giving her food and water twice a day.  So I decided to save her from that life, I was told her monther was chow/beagle and the father was unknown.  She has a pink tongue, really showing no signs of chow, and by looking at photos online, really dosen't look like she has much beagle in her either.  She was born on Oct. 29th I was told.  Any suggestions would be nice, I have a 5 year old autistic son, and worry about having an aggressive dog in our family when she gets older.  She is Very strong, and already gets to playing rough with my son.  She profusly sheds really bad too.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I really IMO dont see any pit.   Not too sure on the breed.   IMO if its friendly, trainable then work with her and I am sure you can get her to play the correct way.  She is just porbablly not used to proper play due to her bad upbringing.  Also maybe enroll her into a training program.  With your son maybe you both (even though he is only 5) can work on her with training - could one day be a service dog.  

As for the shedding, sure diet has a lot to do with it, give her some time to get accustomed to a good diet, and use a shed blade to brush.   Add in some fish oils to her food to help coat condtioning.

Welcome to the forum, stick around, tons of information here!

·
Registered
544 Posts
In my opinion she looks like she may have some jack russell terrier in her.  I also agree that I don't see any resemblance of a pit bull at all.  Congrats to you for saving her and best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
She's really cute :D When I saw the first couple pics I thought "Jack Russell Terrier cross" something about the head shape and markings. Ditto about the training and the food.Give her a while to settle in and learn to have some manners and be part of family life instead of in a crate. Plenty of exercise too.  :lol:  Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new addition.

·
Registered
882 Posts
ya I'd have to agree about the jack russell, and maybe beagle cross...she sure has a cute little face on her though....I also agree with what was mentioned by HannaBanana about the training and shedding...give her some time to adjust and be consistent with her commands and routine, and a better quality food and regular brushing should help with the shedding...Welcome to the forum and congrats for taking her out of a poor situation :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Welcome, she is cute!  She looks like she has some darker ticking (spots) on her back that make me think maybe she is mixed with a pointer, but i do see the jack russell in her face and head.  Because I just had a pointer pit mix that I took in and omg she shed so bad.  Unreal how much hair she had.

G

·
0 Posts
I definately felt there was jack russell...no chow at all..maybe beagle....possible pointer...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
First thing that came to mind was Jack Russell mix... definitely some kind of rat terrier... honestly I don't think there is any bully breed in that dog. No pit, boxer... etc. You can get a blood test done... I think it's like $63 or something. What a sweetie though!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I don't see any bully breeds either.  The first thing I thought before reading your post even was jack russell terrier, maybe pointer b/c she is larger than a jack and has spots... who knows what else?
Good luck with her, she has had a life with limited experiences so far.  She needs to learn what is acceptable and how to please you.  I would suggest enrolling her in some obedience classes.  She will get training, and also socialization.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Looks like the foster rescue we took in.  He was listed as a pointer/hound mix.   Looks like a little Beagle in the pot.  Take a look at a Foxhound and see if it matches up.  They placed my foster last week, and I miss the squirt.

I know all too well about the ASD.  You might get some fear aggression if this dog is not given space since he's new to your family.  The problem with my son was he was always having to touch our dog constantly.  He wanted to hang on to the collar, and contain him.  I think this makes any young dog very anxious since they can't get away.  He should get used to new family members who have treats in hand.  I'd let the dog be the one to approach the child for awhile.  That was years behind us, and I know it is not an easy task.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts