Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female boxer that is going to be a year old next month, and although she's a great dog I'm having some issues. I have another dog (11-year-old german sheperd) who always goes to the bathroom in the house. I'm pretty sure it's out of spite since we let her out constantly during the day and she only does it when we leave the house (even if it's just for a few minutes). Now, Star (my boxer) sleeps on her bed in my room at night, but is crated during the day because she still has a tendency to chew things (although it has been getting much better). When Star is out of her crate and roaming about the house, she urinates on the floor no matter how many times we allow her to go outside and make. I don't know if it's a dominance thing because Jasmine (the german sheperd) does it all day and her scent is probably on the floor, or if it's just because she doesn't know any better. I did the whole walk on a leash and praise her thing for about 6 or 7 months and now we let her out on her own, but it still hasn't worked. I know we should have trained Jasmine better, but now that she's 11 I don't know how effective any of that would be.

To the next issue, Star never did it until she saw Jasmine do it, but now she always eats her feces. When we let her outside, that's all she does, so I have to stand at the back door until she's done going to the bathroom and then bribe her back in to the house with a bone (another issue...she doesn't come in unless I bribe her and I don't want her getting into that habit). Is there a way to stop this?

Also, when she's outside, she's constantly running on the pool cover. I tried standing outside and chasing her off whenever she did it, but sometimes I just don't have time in the morning to chase her around.

Continuing, she jumps on people. She doesn't jump on me because I've used the off command and placed her in a sitting position any time she did, but she jumps on everyone else and doesn't listen to off. My uncle recommended a spray bottle with a bit of lemon in it for when she starts jumping, but is that the best option?

All in all she is a very lovable dog and does listen when she understands. I bought a dog training book but she doesn't really seem to learn the commands, she just guesses at what she's supposed to do. For example, I'll tell her to sit and raise my hand in the position the book said to and sometimes she will lay down, and vice versa.

Someone, anyone, please help lol. My girlfriend and I have been talking about getting an apartment together and I would really like to have her stop doing these kinds of things before I do. Especially the making in the house. I feel like it would be futile since she would see Jasmine make in the house and think it's ok for her to do it. What do I do?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Have you enrolled her into a basic obedience class?    SOmetimes it is helpful to get guidance from an instructor who can point out what you (if you) are doing things wrong like the sit etc.   Books are always great reading material but I know for me, someone to point out and help is more effective.

Also with eating their own poops it is kinda common and hopefully they can out grow it - what are you feeding??

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.  They are several stickies under training that may help and others will chime in.  I also heard that there are additives to add to food that are supposed to help with the eating poo problem.  Have you taken them to an obedience class, the trainers can often help with these problems or talk to a behaviorist.  Hope you can resolve your problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think obtaining a professional trainer would be your best bet. They will teach you the best methods, and when the owners get it right (because my dog didn't come with a manual either), they are much easier to handle and when it's done right, the results are quite quick. I have friends who have a Kerry Blue Terrier that was out of control, namely everything you're having problems with. Within a month of professional help, this dog was virtually perfect - like a totally different dog. The cost of professional training may be a little high, but I think it's worth every penny. I realize two dogs is even more expensive, but I have heard that dividing them up for training is a best practise. Maybe crate one while training the other, and vice versa. Jasmine and Star will be happier, and so will your family! Good Luck, I really hope it works out, but it can be done.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The vet that I used to work for told clients to sprinkle meat tenderizr over their food and it will stop the poop eating.  Not really sure why but it seemed to work.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
What are you using to clean up the urine?  You need to use a product like Nature's Miracle which removes the scent that the dog smells.  Just because you clean it with something and you can't smell it doesn't mean the dog can't.  That can promote repeat urination on a spot.  The rest of your problems take work.  Check out the stickies recommended.

Nano

·
Registered
648 Posts
S4PIENT\";p=\"73190 said:
When we let her outside, that's all she does, so I have to stand at the back door until she's done going to the bathroom and then bribe her back in to the house with a bone (another issue...she doesn't come in unless I bribe her and I don't want her getting into that habit). Is there a way to stop this?
I think most hit on most of your points but regarding this one. Try never to bribe your dog - it sounds like she is already in a habbit.  Once you start it is hard to stop them from only listening when they see a bribe in your hand.

It seems like you do things when you have time and other times you let her do what she wants like run on the pool cover. I can only say the most important part is 'consistency' wheather you have a trainer or not you will have to be consitant.  Dogs like routines....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts