Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
poor girl that is terrible! I think you should show your vet this video and have her checked over bc that seems awful!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It looks and sounds like a reverse sneeze -

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/reverse-sn ... page1.aspx

Causes of Reverse Sneezing

The exact reason for these reverse sneezing episodes is unknown but may be related to allergies, nasal irritants, or nasal inflammation. Any age, breed or sex can be affected.
A reverse sneeze may look disturbing – many people fear that their dog is not breathing during these episodes – but it is not a harmful condition and there are no ill effects. Reverse sneezing attacks are generally quite brief and not life threatening. Between episodes, the dog acts normal.

In some situation when reverse sneezing is frequent, a more serious condition may be the underlying cause. In those situations, testing for nasal mites, nasal cancer should be done.

How to Stop a Reverse Sneezing Episode

An episode can be stopped if the dog is stimulated to swallow by either massaging the throat or briefly pinching off the nasal openings. Sometimes opening the dogs mouth and gently pulling on the dogs tongue or giving the dog something to eat and drink can also stop the reverse sneezing episode. Some dogs have reverse sneezing episodes so frequently that various medications may be needed to reduce their frequency.

What to Watch For

If the revere sneezing occurs frequently (daily or several times a day) and is associated with other clinical signs, then further evaluation should be completed by your veterinarian.
Watch for other abnormal signs that may suggest a more serious problem including nasal discharge, epistaxis (bloody nose), sneezing, difficulty breathing, abnormal facial deformity over the nose area, decreased appetite and/or lethargy.

G

·
Thats what I was going to say...my Dalmatians did it all the time.....especially in the Spring & Fall...they had allergies.....

·
Registered
693 Posts
Is that a flea collar on her neck? If so that would be the first thing I would get rid of. I don't believe that is asthma attacks. Take her to the vet and have a thorough check up done. As the other person said show your vet the video.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for your answers,

1.Boxerpop: her flea collar was put just yesterday and those attacks took place before so it has nothing to do with it i guess.

since i took her from a rescue shelter 2 weeks ago, neither i or them have her medical history, i sent them the clip this morning they said they will show it to the vet .

one more thing i noticed, its been happening while she is resting or sleeping , once a day, never when running or playing.

one more concern i have is that she is not barking at all, from day one and in the shelter she never barks i mean never at all , the only sound i heard from her was like crying a little when i leave the house and that also very very low sound.

they think she is 2 years old approximately.

again thank you all for your help.
Ron

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Flea collars are useless....basically keeps the fleas off their neck and that's it, not to mention it's full of harsh chemicals.

I would try the things suggested to stop a reverse sneeze next time she's having an attack and see if it stops...if it stops than chances are, thats what it is.

Either way, she should go to a vet for a check up, especially since you dont know her background...better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Well I would take her to the vet esp if you just took her in - always better to make sure she is ok and healthy once you take possession of any pup!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
My guess would be reverse sneeze as well. It is harmless and usually doesn't need treatment. However because this is a boxer and she's been doing it every day it could be a sign of a respiratory problem, such as an elongated soft palate. This is very common in brachycephalic (short nosed) breeds. A quick vet visit will let you know for sure, but my guess is just reverse sneezing. :)

G

·
Poor baby.. that looks very miserable. I think the reverse sneeze also. Sully had kennel cough a while back and I did some research on it and found out about the reverse sneeze. Binga did this a few times and to me it seemed like she was cleaning out her sinuses.

I have never seen a dog in a flea collar.. I thought they were only for cats!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
either today or tomorrow the rescue team will call me to bring her to the vet and then we will see if its a reverse sneeze.
thank you
Ron

G

·
When Gracie had kennel cough she not only coughed, but did exactly what your girl is doing in that video. Vet gave us antibiotics to give to her for a few weeks and it cleared right up.

G

·
When I brought my girl home from the shelter she did something similar and my vet said it was mites. They start in the ear and followed the ear canal to her sinuses. She would breath in really funny because the mites were irritating her. He gave her some antibiotics and it went away within a few days. It may be that or a reverse sneeze. Hopefully the vet will be able to help her out.

I also think the flea collar needs to go. There are many other treatment methods for fleas and other pests that are a lot better for you adorable girl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the advice , the collar flea is out from now on:))
i will get something better.
lets see what the vet says..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good luck when I rescued my boxer from the animal shelter he had kennel cough he did the same thing vet check and $100. later with med he was well then my chix got it. My chihuahua mix does that all of the time. but my boxer has not done it since he got well!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quick test is to give her 1/2 tab of benedryl in the morning and another 1/2 at night. If over 55lbs give another 1/2 at lunch.

Will make her a little groggy, but will help with any allergy issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts