Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi there, I am new to the Forum, but I heard it was the place where I can seek help for any of my Boxer needs.

I have rescue Boxers and one of them is having some skin problems. He is balding on his sides and it moves from one side to the next and sometimes both sides. The area grows and then shrinks, but never totally goes away. At first it seemed like the typical sign of Thyroid, so I had him tested - 3 times! - by 3 different vets! And they all came to the same conclusion: his levels are a little low, but still within the norm. I've had skin biopsies done on him and numerous other tests (blood, urine, stool, etc) but we have not found anything major. I've changed his food a few times, including being on the raw diet, but still nothing.

Does any body have any suggestions? Or has any body encountered this or something similar?

PLEASE...I want to conquer this, but I dont know what direction to search in anymore.

Thanks so much,
Angela

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't help you.  But asking here, and on other boxer forums also, is a good idea.  There is bound to be someone with some experience that can help you.

Good luck

·
Registered
744 Posts
Have you had him scraped for mites? If not, this would be my next step.

If all else comes back normal (thyroid panel, skin scrapings, etc), I wouldn't worry about it, as it is most likely a hereditary condition very common to boxers called "Seasonal Flank Alopecia". This condition is completely and totally harmless and comes and goes with the seasons. It is my personal belief that it is caused by some sort of hormonal imbalance as many have had success in treating it with OTC Melatonin.

If you do a search on Google, you should find a ton of info on seasonal flank alopecia and boxers.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts