Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
I really need some help. When I took my female boxer to be spayed they discovered that she had the begining stage of heartworms.  after one treatment I had to wait for her to be spayed.  I just got her back from the hospital after being spayed and having a strong heartworm treatment.  I went outside to get the mail anf my two boxers were stuck together.  She is now howling in pain.  The vet is calling in some extra pain med for me. I am distraught. Does anyone know anyone who has been through something like this.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Dont know anyone who has been thru this, but my suggestion is to keep dogs separated best you can to ensure you get your female healthy and rested while she heels.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yes, definitely keep them seperate. Also, with the heartworm treatment  and with the recovery after the spay, it is very important to keep her calm. So, being around your other dog is not going to help that. I would suggest she be crated for a while.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
kayleekat\";p=\"127644 said:
Is it possible he tore her stitches?
I would think you could see if the stitches were torn, is she bleeding?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am guessing that she must have been in heat at the time she was spayed?  Generally this would be when the male would show such interest....Either way...if she is spayed it is a complete removal of the uteris so there is no way she can get prego but she may still be spotting or producing hormones to attract him......I would suggest to keep him away from her for at least 4 days to a week and then intro them slowly to make sure he wont mount her...if he does you may have to keep them seperated for the whole two weeks......It is very unlikly her tore her stitch's since they are in the abdominal cavity and not the vaginal area......

On the heartworms do you know how they are treating her?  Either it would be an injection or an oral liquid?  This would make a big difference.  Even though they must be kept calm with any treatment it is MUCH more important with the injection treatments.......Going through surgery with a heartworm positive dog is very risky....IMO I would have done the treatment first and then the surgery but all vets are different in how they handle things.......

Hope the meds help her feel better and hoping the male gives her a break to let her heal up........:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is the injection. she had three treatments. this was her last.  Before she went in for her last round she was in heat.  My husband was home with them. We didn't know she was in heat. there really was no signs. I think the poison she was shot up with affected the heat.  Anyway, He dropped off my son 5 mins away at soccer and the dogs were stuck together.  The vet and the doggie cardiologist decided the best thing to do was fix her right away.  

They were afraid that if she got preggo all her blood would flow to the uterus and her heart would be in danger.
It was a tough choice.  today she is better.  

I feel so guilty keeping her in the crate, as we have never used crates before. I know its best.

thanks to all, sorry my message is so long.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Dont be sorry for asking for help, there are so many dog owners on here and we have all been through one thing or another.

If she is in a seperate room from your male rather let her out of the crate so she can be with you guys and get hugs. :)

Zulu was laid up on the couch after his nuggies went bye byes, then again he is a real big baby and was prob acting most of the time for attention, he is very clever and knows he only has to give mummy the look once and he gets away with things :lol:  :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem with keeping them seperate out of crates is that they rip up my walls to get to eachother.
It would be cute if I didn't have to fix it.  8O

I am glad they are in love but really!

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Hi; hope your little girl is feeling better today, and you've been able to give her lots of love.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
[quote="kayleekat\";p=\"128108":28znrh2t]
It would be cute if I didn't have to fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts