Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2yr old white male boxer, he isn’t fixed, not aggressive to people in any way, super sweet boy, well I went out back to let him inside, and he was hovering over a HUGE opossum, I got him away, and it wondered off, I have 2 questions,
1. I didn’t notice any scratches or bites, should I still be concerned?
2. Should I be worried about having him around our cat? Now that he has a taste of a small animal?

Ps I just found a small baby the momma left behind 🥺 luckily wildlife will be coming for this little guy

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think he was just protecting his yard I don't think you have to worry about a cat he has lived with this whole time. My dogs view anything that comes into our yard as fair game whether it be stray cats or anything else so I usually check the yard before I put them out. Plus a previous dog of mine had an encounter with a skunk (big smelly deal too) so no more of that. I would not worry about your dog but it may be wise to check with your Vet in case his rabies shot needs to be updated now. I have a friend who's Boxer killed a racoon in the yard and that's what the Vet suggested for them to do. It happens so don't be too hard on your boy he is protecting what's his. I don't believe at all your cat is in any danger since he was raised with the cat he views that as belonging to his house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate that, I’ll be contacting my vet today, My Boxer (Kane) did not get scolded in any way, I’ve learned that this kind of behavior is in their blood, it be no different if my cat got a hold of a squirrel I guess 😆, but I really appreciate your feed back.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
He's a handsome, boy and Welcome Aboard. And as far as his encounter goes and what to do?? Give him a bath and check him over for flea or tick bite's. That's about it, Opossum's don't/can't carry the Rabies Virus.

They do clean up after Raccoon's, leave a mess and they eat snail's and rotten fruit. And they will "Kill," and eat Rattlesnakes?? It seem's they are immune to snake venom??

And as far as this incident affecting your cat and dog's relationship?? If it is already good (with his cat) it will have "Zero," effect a "Possum," is not a "house mate." And as far as Cat v Dog, goes in general. My dog's have always been a 10. Think PPD, MWD and LE. You can't have, say a "Bomb Sniffing Dog," going "off task," because of the random appearance of some cat???

I never noticed "this fact," with my Band Dawg, Pit/Boxer's and Boxer's but with my First (Working line German Shepard Dog) I did because of his uh "Nature," I needed to be aware of "everything!" And I would be aware of the "Random appearance of cat's." And I would look at him when I saw a cat and there was "nothing" from him??

Well you know maybe did not see it?? But the last time ... I was cleaning his poo. And a random Black Cat popped up five feet away! The cat freaked and froze and did the full blown Halloween Kitty arched back thing! Well this time Rocky (GSD) had to see him?? He was off leash at the time. And he looked at the Cat, like whatever and then back to me. It's a Cat, Cat's are not prey?? What do I care?? I was both stunned and pleased.

But it is also kind of a handy real world trait (Cat Proofed Dog) also. As you don't have to worry about your dog bolting across the street because of the random appearance of some Cat?? Your dog is fine. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
First of all, I would recommend that you consult a veterinarian. However, do not worry too much, because dogs are curious and there is nothing terrible about it. I'm pretty sure you feed your dog meat, so what's the difference?
My dog had a similar run-in with the wild world. She had a fight with a squirrel, and the squirrel scratched her, but on the whole, she was fine. After that, I saw squirrels on my territory again. I thought they were attracted to something. I applied to https://tulsa.aaacwildliferemoval.com/squirrel-removal, for them to address this issue.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Well it certainly can't hurt to see a vet but it is a waste of dollar's for this. And while I thought, I understood a lot about the slow moving multi tooth "creepy," looking miscreates?? Apparently it was still not enough?? They don't carry flea's and tick's, they eat them by the ton!

So Opossum's eat flea's and tick's as an appetizer. Lyme disease anyone?? And much like a Cop Raid at a midnight ride "Street Race Outing?? The slowest to leave will get all the blame!

And while I have not seen Opossum's where I am ... the High Desert in NV, I have seen Rattle Snakes! Fortunately not in my back yard! But Rattle Snakes in North America are everywhere! So if one has a choice of Rattle Snakes or Opossums?? In there back yard?? I'd live the Opossum's alone. :)

So for me, LOL if I find a baby Opossum, he is "Mine!" You have to jump thru loop's because "Wildlife," belongs to the state! But in NV Opossums are legal to own.

I just have to hope I don't come across a Coyote Pup on an outing?? Cuz they are illegal to own in Nv! But hey if I find one?? It's mine! It's not a Coyote it's a skinny German Shepard. That would be my story and I would stick to it! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your baby is adorable! I had a white male and he love to chase any critters in the yard. I agree it shouldn't make any difference in his behavior to the kitty. Interesting to learn so much about Opossum's, here in North Florida we have plenty of rattlesnakes, fleas, and ticks so come on down Opossums! I was putting up a wildlife cam last year and saw armadillos, opossums and raccoons in our yard. Woods behind us. Have you had this vaccine? What Is Leptospirosis and Should You Be Concerned? – American Kennel Club My vet recommended it so my new puppies have it but my previous babies never did. I'm not sure if Opossums are included as a concern but thought I would share just in case.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Your baby is adorable! I had a white male and he love to chase any critters in the yard. I agree it shouldn't make any difference in his behavior to the kitty. Interesting to learn so much about Opossum's, here in North Florida we have plenty of rattlesnakes, fleas, and ticks so come on down Opossums! I was putting up a wildlife cam last year and saw armadillos, opossums and raccoons in our yard. Woods behind us. Have you had this vaccine? What Is Leptospirosis and Should You Be Concerned? – American Kennel Club My vet recommended it so my new puppies have it but my previous babies never did. I'm not sure if Opossums are included as a concern but thought I would share just in case.
Be real careful with the Lepto vaccine one of my dogs had a pretty bad reaction to it so did my friends Boxer it seems this shot can cause a reaction in Boxers so beware! I don't get it for mine. We are outside all the time too I asked my Vet about it and she said there are several kinds of Lepto out there but the vaccine the dogs get only cover about 3 varieties so I just chose to be careful where I take them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Be real careful with the Lepto vaccine one of my dogs had a pretty bad reaction to it so did my friends Boxer it seems this shot can cause a reaction in Boxers so beware! I don't get it for mine. We are outside all the time too I asked my Vet about it and she said there are several kinds of Lepto out there but the vaccine the dogs get only cover about 3 varieties so I just chose to be careful where I take them.
Interesting. I usually always leave a water bowl outside and I have a small pond, very small artificial one. So I worry the could be exposed. I did the vaccine as puppies during their rounds of vaccines. I wonder now if I should be worried on the next round. I'll do some research.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts