Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to crate train my boxer, but she freaks out everytime we leave.  She keeps pooping in there and getting it all over even though we always take her out before we leave.  Yesterday she drooled all over her kennel and everything in it.  I think she has seperation anxioutiy but that doesn't explain the pooping! Please help! I don't know how to help her.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
how old is she? im not the best help at this as mine were pretty good with the crate but plenty here can help ya

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The crate might be too big. Lucy had a larger crate and would constantly poo and pee in it. We got a smaller one and now she is fine. The crate needs to be a happy place. Maybe try working with her when you are home with high value treats...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's almost 4 months and is catching on to the potty training thing pretty well.  We've only had her for 3 weeks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Her crate has a divider so I made it smaller but it didn't help really.  I tried to make is a cozey, happy place but she keeps pooping on everything.  I've washed her faviorite animal 4 times and I keep rotating blankets from the wash.  as far as treats, she doesn't care about them.  In fact, she thinks is the same as her food.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I hear ya, we went thru the same thing. I was washing towels everyday. Well, you have only had her 3 wks- Give her some time. Try something of higher value then- like pieces of a hot dog, I guarantee she will like that.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
You could try something special in there, that she gets ONLY in there. Maybe a peanut butter kong?? Also, an unwashed article of your clothing in there might help soothe her. Check the training section for lot more ideas. Stick with it and Good Luck :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers seem to really have issues with SA and as you have only had her for 3 weeks, it's still early..was she crated before you got her? If not, that's part of the issue as well....You might try putting a sheet or a blanket over the crate, making it like a tent, sometimes that helps make them feel more secure....Also try leaving a radio on for her with something soothing....I also every time I leave, I tell mine where I am going and when I will be back, do they understand? Possibly  :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got her from a breeder so she lived in the garage with her siblings.  There were always lots of puppies around her. So, no she wasn't crate trained.  We've been doing the radio thing and it helps.  Just the last few days she's been drooling profusely. Is that normal? Is it anxiety?

·
Registered
880 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"80416 said:
Boxers seem to really have issues with SA
You can help separation anxiety by not making a fuss when you get home.  If you come home and yell "I'm home where are my puppies?!" (or something to that sort) you reward their being anxious for your arrival.  If you return and remain calm and ignore them for twenty minutes or so, the dog will learn that your arrival doesn't necessarily mean lots of attention.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
[quote="JettaAndOscar";p="80453":woobvo1y][quote="samsonsmom\";p=\"80416":woobvo1y]
You can help separation anxiety by not making a fuss when you get home.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If they are not liking to be in the crate you need to train them to like it. Do not force them to be in or stay in but do it in a training method.

Clicker training works much easier for this challenge..yes I try not to use the word ' problem ' . ;-)

Anynow, if you buy a clicker and get some treats stashed away - high value treats like hot dog or something good. Not just kibble.... Leave the door open and watch from the corner of your eye. When ever she starts to go near the crate "Click" and Treat.... then ignore her and watch again. She will start going closer and closer until she eventually steps in and keep C/T. Keep the door open and let her find her way in. Little by little she will get use to it. Until one day you can just say kennel up and she goes flying inside and sits.

Usually a pup is trained well before 4 months to be in a crate. 4 months is harder becasue they are much stronger and more active! But you can do it this way for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts