Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two potential problems I could use help with.

I think my dog is too attached to me.  I can't put her anywhere without me now.  I tried to put her in the back yard yesterday while my husband and I were working in the front and she just sits at the fence and barks uncontrolable.  I don't know how to get her to stop considering the fact that she is deaf it isn't like I can just yell at her.  If I am with her she never barks and is just fine.  Does anyone have any advice on how to get her to realize she will be just fine without me by her side...

Second, when we first got her she was so good and never got on the couches.  Now she is constantly sneaking around to sleep on one of my small couches....I say sneaking because she never does it when I am there.  I busted her last night and had to give her a spanking but I don't ever want to do that again because then I was up half the night feeling bad about it.  I wan't to try a doggy bed is there anything I can get to spray on it or do to it to get her to prefer the bed over the couch?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'd never hit my dog.  I think that's just the wrong way to approach training.  And in my opnion, it's just cruel.  To each his or her own though.  Dogs like to be comfortable, if you don't provide a bed or something similiar, that's not fair.  Just because she never used to go on the couches doesn't mean she was properly trained not to.  It takes time and constant corrections.  But I'd get her a dog bed ASAP.  The floor is cold, and even rugs aren't all that comfy when theres a nice big comfy couch right over there!

As far as being attached to you, welcome to the world of boxer ownership.  My dog tries to knock down the bathroom door when I go in there.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Ohh yeah ... I did a ton of research before getting a Boxer and that's what I read everywhere ...and it is so true... if you don't want a dog that is attached to your hip, don't buy a Boxer.

My boy doesn't leave my side when I am home, ever.  He could be in a deep sleep, but if I get up to go to the washroom, or into another room, there he is!  

I would never hit my dog either.  I have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck a couple of times when he got totally out of control with his biting, but never hit.  Like Sully said, it takes time and a lot of corrections.  They aren't born knowing what to do.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
[quote="sully\";p=\"110608":9so2duav]As far as being attached to you, welcome to the world of boxer ownership.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Time outs work great as a form of punishment.   Put her lead on her collar and put it around a doornob and make her sit there for three minutes.  Dont talk to her, give her any attention.

DO you give her anything to entertain her to divert her attention from you to an object like a Kong or a chew?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She really likes stuffed toys but still prefers to play with me.  I need to try a cong and will probably get one today along with the bed.  

Thanks for the time out advice I will put that into effect today and see if that helps.

Thanks again.  Any advice helps escpecially since I don't want to spank or hit her she is so sweet and good I feel that my issues are so trivial but that is how my father trained his dogs and even though they were very sweet loving and had a really good life.  I just can't do that to my animals.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
IMO if you want to start training get a book on clicker training.   I know your baby is deaf but why no replace the clicker effect with a small hand helf flash light?   Every time she does something correct, use the flick of the flash light as reward, and then treat.   This could be effect in allowing her to determine right from wrong.   If she does not do what you want, then no flick of the light, and no treat.

Also hand signals are a great resource.  I know Petsmart used them and maybe a basic obedience class using handsignals could be beneficial.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The flashlight idea is great.  I am currently using hand signals and she is picking them up quite quickly we work about 30 minutes a day.  That is the max for her attention span.  She is sitting, laying, staying, and coming all by hand signals..  She is really really good in the house but take her out side and she can not focus but we will keep working.  

Thanks for the advice/.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Boxers = Velcro Dogs,my to never leave my side, I can't even go to the bathroom alone. When she barks try a time out and turn your back on her. When she is quiet, praise, rub, kiss and treat.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I use timeouts for corrections and it works really well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am definantly going to try the time out thing.  I never want to spank her again.  She is just too sweet to do that too.  Thanks for all the imput it is really going to help.  I would love to get another dog but if you look at my link under other pets I have got a zoo at my house.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I looked at that link and you have a lot of pets youre so lucky! my husband says i live in animal kingdom because i have one cat and one boxer and am getting another kitten..hrmph youre too lucky!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did get lucky my husband is worse than I am.  You think about it though.  All of our money goes to pets.  We don't live fancy but make a reasonable income and because of the pets we find ourself living pay check to pay check but just knowing that I have given as many animals as physically possible a good home is more than worth it.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
[quote="1boxer\";p=\"110647":3pprl62c]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Totally know how that is.  I get the face from everyone in my household including my husband so I am not a very angry person.  I have learned to give in to quick.  Wether or not that is a good thing.  I don't really know.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sadie does the same thing.  I've never spanked her for doing it though.  I will admit that mine have been spanked if they are not listening are are completely out of control.  I don't beat them, but I bop there butt and make them mind me.  Isn't that wrong?  Who knows, it's personal preference.  I will say growing up I got my tail busted when I was doing wrong, and I deserved it.  Me and my parents are close, and so are me and the dogs.  If your girl is deaf, you may have to try training her by fencing her and gradually creating distance.  Make sure you reward her with treats when she is doing good.

G

·
0 Posts
krystal you sound like such a loving boxer mama, trying to do the right thing for your baby girl.

i agree about the soft bed.  another thing you might do is cover her with a soft blanket on her bed when it's cool, so she knows it's a special place.

my male used to bark when i was out front and he was out back.  what i did was put him on leash and take him out front to show him what i was doing.  tied him out with us for a little bit, so the front wasn't a foreign place and he could see that grammie was safe, busy working, and didn't need protecting.  boxers just have SEE what we're doing.  give them a job to do (watching you) - they're working dogs lol!

after awhile he'd get bored and i could put him in the house or backyard where he could lay down or play with his toys.

heather - i grounded thor one time by leashing him to my dresser.  i was SO pissed at him...forget what he did.  like krystal, i couldn't sleep feeling so bad for doing   that and swore i'd find another form of correction.  i left him there for about an hour or more!  he didn't know wth he did or why i was so mad.  it was awful!!

oh man did i learn on that one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts