Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some of you remember Talos had kennel cough in August. Well.... he now has pneumonia.

Yesterday morning he started acting a bit odd. Then he tried to throw up and nothing came up. Began panting and pacing. Then he began vomiting white foam every few minutes. We thought he had swallowed something he shouldn't have. I took him outside and after going to the bathroom his back legs were shaking and he just laid in the grass.

We immediately put him in the car and took him to the emergency vet/hospital. They gave him a mild sedative to keep him calm and to try to help him relax. His oxygen levels were under 90% and x-rays only showed food in his belly. But then they found that he had pneumonia.

As of this morning his oxygen levels are still to low. They are going to start a more specific antibiotic for him and continue oxygen levels.

My house feels so empty without him. I just want him to be better and home. :cry_baby:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aww. Poor boy:(
He's in good hands.
Of course the house must feel empty and quiet:(
Do you know how long he will stay at emerge for?
Give updates on how he's doing please.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! The vet called last night and told us that even after they put him in the oxygen cage his levels continued to drop. So after getting lab results they switched the antibiotic to something more specific and for the first time they saw a rise in the level. He's only been allowed out for short walks because he tires easily and is still coughing. I'm just thankful there is some bit of good news.

When we took him Sunday they said probably 3 days but if he responded well it could be sooner. So at this point we have no idea. We just keep waiting for the update and for them to tell us he can come home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks everyone! The vet called last night and told us that even after they put him in the oxygen cage his levels continued to drop. So after getting lab results they switched the antibiotic to something more specific and for the first time they saw a rise in the level. He's only been allowed out for short walks because he tires easily and is still coughing. I'm just thankful there is some bit of good news.

When we took him Sunday they said probably 3 days but if he responded well it could be sooner. So at this point we have no idea. We just keep waiting for the update and for them to tell us he can come home.
That is very good news :)
So so happy he started responding to the new antibiotics:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So one thing I love about this animal hospital. The vet makes rounds twice a day and each time calls with an update. This morning my husband got the call because I"m at work. Oxygen levels have reached 95% without the assistance of oxygen. They said he has gone from tail wags to full body wiggles again :mbounce:

So the plan is that they will keep him for one more day to monitor him without the oxygen. If he continues to do well they will send him home tomorrow!! He will need to be on antibiotics... for weeks or even months. They just want to be certain that it's gone.

I can't want to hug my baby boy!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yay! I am super super happy for you guys!
He will be so happy to see you!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone! First thing I did after work was went and bought him a new squeaker toy for when he gets home. Everything else is getting sanitized or tossed. Not taking the chances of lingering germs. A few of his favorites were starting to look a little beat up anyway. Those ones I will replace for sure. He loves his Mr. Bill (he sounds like he's singing to him when he plays with him)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He's home!!! :clap:

Rest orders for a week. Will need some follow up x-rays. Currently on an anti nausea medication and two antibiotics. Going to pick up a probiotic on my home from work.

Came home and rubbed his face all over everything. (taking his turf back from the cats.)

I've noticed him scratching a bit and rubbing his face. I'm wondering if he's having a mild reaction to one of the meds. Will definitely be keeping an eye on that.

But he's happy and we're even happier!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts