Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here a police officer or maybe there spouse?  I'm seriously considering a career change and this is something that I've always been interested in.  I would like to take it a step further and get my bachelor's and become an investigator.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
uridiscence\";p=\"16167 said:
NYPD? That's big time! I'm glad he likes it!
Yeah... we were a little nervous... hes done everything in his power to not hold down a real job forever... but  he met some guys from our neighborhood and hes really enjoying it!

·
Registered
186 Posts
i am a retired police officer. what exactly do you want to know? i will tell you to go ahead and get your bachelors degree. although in most depts with or without one you still have to work your way up to investigations. But with a degree you get paid more. the reason i say retired is because i was a police officer until i got married and moved to another state, and with a son, i decided it isnt the best carrer choice for me with small children, plus the demanding hours my husband works. so what do you want to know?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm basically wanting to know what kind of qualifications I will need to get on to begin with.  I don't know all of the physical requirements but since I train MMA I know that running, etc... will not be an issue.  Definitely don't want to move to far because the wife is happy where she's working and she makes alot more money than I do.  So I don't know if this complicates things but if there are any websites pertaining to Tennessee that would be a big bonus.  I've done some minor researching but haven't found what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
186 Posts
most places allow you to go thru some sort of police aceadmy..which requires book work, tests, along with physical trainng. a lot of the school i went to was hands on trainng as well, and FUN!!  you do fight simulations etc, depends on the academy really, most big departments offer their own academy with job security when you are done, or some community colleges offer the program and when you graduate you are free hire..in NC after completing the 5 month school you have one yr from the day you graduate to get hired on. if you go thru a police department you dont have to worry about that. i woudl try mayeb contacting your local police agency and see if they can guide you further. every state is different. hoep this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi
My husband has been a police officer for 21 years & I have been a 911 Dispatcher for almost 11 years...feel free to ask me or email me any questions  you may have. We both get on this site so ask away!! I'll tell u the truth!!! lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
[quote="mias_mommy\";p=\"17150":vo7l1qwd]Hi
My husband has been a police officer for 21 years & I have been a 911 Dispatcher for almost 11 years...feel free to ask me or email me any questions

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'am currently on the job in New Jersey...best job in the world! Love it! My advice is continue with education and make sure your "ducks" are in order...good luck!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
[quote="summer\";p=\"17156":2646kuyc][quote="mias_mommy\";p=\"17150":2646kuyc]Hi
My husband has been a police officer for 21 years & I have been a 911 Dispatcher for almost 11 years...feel free to ask me or email me any questions

·
Registered
186 Posts
[quote="Mastray\";p=\"17162":24pxoift][quote="summer\";p=\"17156":24pxoift][quote="mias_mommy\";p=\"17150":24pxoift]Hi

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mastray\";p=\"17165 said:
:) I'm pregnant too! How far along are you? I'll be 14 wks tomorrow!!!

LOL I think I'm highjacking this thread... sorry!!!
i will be 13 weeks on monday! lol congrats to you (sorry for stealing this post)

but again i do dearly apologize for saying that. i hope no one thinks i am here to cause trouble, like i said i have been a total wreck the past few days.  sorry sorry sorry!

·
Registered
29 Posts
no summer, i didnt even read your post until after I had posted mine. I only meant that if they talk to a recruiter I'm sure they will "forget" to tell the pitfalls & all that stuff of law enforcement. I know that if someone asked me about it I'd tell them to think long & hard..especially if they enjoy their weekends & holidays spent with family. No harm taken, I woulda thought the same thing if I would have read your post & then mine!  Congrats on the little one!

·
Registered
186 Posts
[quote="mias_mommy\";p=\"17169":1t6zrbpu]no summer, i didnt even read your post until after I had posted mine. I only meant that if they talk to a recruiter I'm sure they will "forget" to tell the pitfalls & all that stuff of law enforcement. I know that if someone asked me about it I'd tell them to think long & hard..especially if they enjoy their weekends & holidays spent with family. No harm taken, I woulda thought the same thing if I would have read your post & then mine!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts