Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been trying to swithc food.
We've been doing 25% new food, 75% old food for about a week and a half.
The problem is his poo.  It has been getting softer and softer by the day.  Yesterday there wasn't even a shape to it, it was just a blob of mush.
Also, he's been wanting to eat less these last couple of days.
I'm afraid to continue with this food.  Should I give it more time or try something else?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sorry, what are the old and new foods?
In the meantime add a spoonful of pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to his food to firm up stool.  Maybe even a dollop of plain fat free yogurt to help his digestive tract.

·
Registered
526 Posts
if its been over a week, I say switch foods... a week is ample time for him to get used to it, IMO... pumpkin or yogurt will help in the meantime

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Personally I'd wait until you're feeding the new food 100% for a week because it's still a transition period.  Everyone here says transition over 3 to 4 weeks before you go 100%.   But then again, it may never work out either...I gave Merrick a month and it was getting worse.  (Pumpkin, yogurt, etc had no effect).  If it's getting worse I think you just have to go with your gut.  I switched my boy back to Canidae and he was better in less than 24 hours.  If you're worried about a health issue or something then maybe just go back to a food you know works better, just to ease your concerns.  Nobody knows your dog better than you!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it maybe the chicken in the food that's the prob.
When we first switched to adult food from puppy food, it was a chicken based food and made him vomit and have loose poo.  So we switched to Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice and have had no problelms.  Well, I thought he could do with a change, it's been almost a year on the Nutro.  So I got some Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix.  He really liked it at first and gobbled it down.  Then the poo got softer and softer and he has shown less and less interest in eating it.  This new food's firs three ingredients are chicken, turkey, chicken meal.  I'm wondering if he just cant tolerate the chicken?  I'm also afraid that if I increase the new food to more than 25%, it will really mess him up.  I've always had food changes be positive, not negative.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Wellness makes a Fish & Sweet Potato Formula, and Pinnacle a Trout and Sweet Potato, and there are some more if you wanted to take him off the proteins that might cause allergies like Beef, turkey, chicken, or lamb.  Some dogs are allergic to milk products also.  We had some success with IVD Duck & Potato.  Addiction makes a Wild Kangaroo and Apples food.  Anyway, don't be too discouraged there's stuff out there.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i really like the fish and potato food from flint river ranch. i just started giving it on Saturday and the change has been phenomenal!  i am really happy with it. good luck  in your search for a food for henry, i know how difficult and frustrating it can be. :x

G

·
0 Posts
hmmm...I feel blessed...we had to switch our babies cold turkey (well..2/3 new 1/3 new) right off the bat because of finances...and no loose stool etc...and eating like horses...thank God they have decent stomachs!  I feel for you though..it's always hard when our babies are not doing great

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Same with me.....I was neglectful one day (i was sick and Adam doesn't pay close enough attention) and ran out of food at night so I had to give him a little of Tabs food but he was fine and I went to the store first thing in the morning to get him his food.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If you think its the chicken, California Natural has a few varieties and each has only one meat source, its good for dogs with allergies.
Good luck:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts