Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Dungy has never had a problem w/ having liquid poop, it has always been solid... yesterday I heard him crying in his cage at like 3:30 in the morning so i got up to let him out and first in the cage he had puked a little food up (prolly cause he ate sooooooo much food yesterday, like 2 cups more than he usually does)

So i took him out cakuse i thought he had to pee or poop and i let him out and his poop squirted out like water.... i was soo confused.

What could have done this??
Is he ok or is there a problem??
how can i thicken it up??

Please help i have never had this issue w/ him

·
Registered
839 Posts
Try some 100% PURE canned pumpkin, or 3 cc pepto bismol, or rice . He could have ate to much that it upset his digestion, could he have gotten into anything that would upset his stomach? He could have just been to full and ate to much. Does he eat to fast? Oh, Make sure that it is pure pumpkin, not pie filling. I saw that on one of the forums this morning,  You may want to check out " Still Positive for Giardia" That may help. I hope he gets to feeling better.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
um he has started to eat chewies (rawhide) for his teeth
Idk what is fast but sometimes he does and sometimes... he is weird he runs in, grabs a mouth full, drops it on the carpet and eats it there

G

·
0 Posts
I would nix the rawhide and get an all natural edible, digestible bone...rawhide can cause blockages which can be $$ to fix...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could that give him the wet stool... i usually take it away when it gets soft

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure about the wet stool...I just always worry when someone mentions rawhide...lol...

He could have just an upset tummy from eating too much..I know when I eat too much...it can affect me...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should i go to the vet or just see how he does... he is still crazy as ever, he does the same thing, just has loose stool... UGH... i am freaking out

G

·
0 Posts
I personally would give it until tomorrow..try some pumpkin make sure he drinks lots of water..and if he still is doing it tomorrow or if he stops eating or drinking...take him to the vet...also if he shows signs of lethargy and change in behavior I would take him in...How many of his shots does he have and when are they due?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is almost 14 weeks and he gets his shots at the end of next week... he has had all that he is suppose to have

G

·
0 Posts
has he gotten into the garbage..eaten grass or leaves in the back yard?  Has he snuck any people food...so many things can cause diarrhea...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
One bout of loose stools isn't anything to get overly alarmed about, But definitely take away the rawhide, Nylabones are a lot better and easily digested as well. A little bit of pumpkin (1 tsp) would help and just keep an eye on his next BM....Angel sometimes has a loose stool if she has eaten something that is a bit too rich for her, so treats are very regulated around here..Like Jamie said, there are so many things that can cause diahrea, it's hard to say, it very well could be just a one time only thing, if it continues, then yes I would take Dungy in, or at the least, give your vet a call...Give that sweetie a hug for me and hoping he feels better

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he had one at 3 in the morning and another at around 7:30 in the morning... i am going to go to the store right after this and get the pumpkin and the pepto... can i give him both

Its just he has never had wet stool so i am taken aback from it

I dont think he got into anything... there was only 30 min when i wasnt w/ him yesterday... another thing that has happened is my roommates cats came home yesterday and he was very riled up

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Did he get any cat food, heard that can do it too.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sharon recommended Kaopectate instead of Pepto and it did help some with Lucy's diarrhea. Lucy has had diarrhea since we adopted her on Oct. 4th (over a month- heck almost two!!) and she is fine as of yesterday- don't worry about one day of loose stool, I am sure he will be fine.

G

·
0 Posts
I know when an animal gets worked up about new things/people/animals that can cause diarrhea...when we took our kitten into the vet's the first time, she got some really really bad diarrhea on the vet's table...complete with blood...and she had never had loose poop before...could be the presence of the kitty getting to him

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i gave him some pumpkin so we will see how that works.... i dont think he got any cat food, it is blocked off... he seems ok but im just a worry wart

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yup no rawhide, a great alternative is Bully sticks, I have not met a dog that does not love a bully stick. Pumpkin will help, as well as cottage cheese mixed with her regular food. Slippery Elm will also help firm up her stool instead of Pepto or Kaeo (herbal alternatives). We went through a bout of the hershey squirts and luckily they cleared up. While she had runs, we gave her some pedialyte.

For a few days you could boil up some plain white rice, LEAN ground beef or boiled chicken (shredded and deboned , of course).

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sophie had a bad bought of diarreah and there were so many things that could have caused it, i.e., she had eaten a Bully, Jr. (she just can't handle the beef), she was eating table scraps, and I finally realized she had been into the cat food.  Anyway, the vet gave her a prescription which cleared it right up and we eliminated all table scraps, beef of any kind, and the cat food.  She hasn't had the problem since.  Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I agree with the others, I would cut out the rawhide and feed about a tsp or two with every meal. When Sadie had Coccidia (very wet poop) we fed her 1/8 of a pepto pill twice a day and it really helped firm up her stool. I would see if the diahrea lasts more than a day and bring in a stool sample to the vet to make sure that parasites can be ruled out. Otherwise, could have been caused by him getting into something nasty, rawhide or just plain overeating.

Hope it was a one off!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts